Spontaneous axis reversal

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
hcbrenner
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-12

Spontaneous axis reversal

Post by hcbrenner »

I bought a 3DP-12 last year. Assembled it and had a great time running lots of prints and doing some minor upgrades,hot end replacement, etc. All was going very well until I decided to take it apart for routine cleaning and maintenance lubing the rods, screws, and cable management. When I reassembled the printer and I went to auto home and both the x and y axis where running in reverse. Strange thing is that I didn’t ever unplug the stepper connections on the board. I only unplugged the motor connections, which are keyed to prevent reversal. Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Spontaneous axis reversal

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have a 3DP12 running Marlin 1.1.5 and on many occasions have installed my backup controller, after flashing a new firmware to test it's functionality.

All the Stepper cables are all keyed so they cannot be plugged in backwards.
Did you upgrade to a newer version of Marlin and re-flashed the firmware.
hcbrenner
Reactions:

Post by hcbrenner »

I had previously flashed an upgrade to 1.1.0 RC8 with good results. During the my most recent re-build I did take the opportunity to upgrade to a sub-version of RC8 created by Dark Dragon Wing (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2116377/#files). This is when the problem first appeared. After some initial troubleshooting I decided to revert to my original version of RC8. However, the problem persisted. I am really stumped, I am back to a proven firmware version and I really don't think there is a problem with the wiring. Could there be some glitch in the way I am flashing the firmware with Arduino? Missing reference files or what-not? I really don't know anything about Arduino.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I know that on occasion when re-flashing sometimes the EEProm are not cleared of data that can cause the new firmware to act strangely.

If you have enabled EEPROM in configuration.h
I clear errors by sending M502 (Factory Reset) and a M500 (Store Settings) or more simply stated a factory reset and the problem went away.

Once I flashed the new Firmware and would not work correctly until I had factory reset the 3D Printer using the above technique multiple times, Between flashes. However after that the Controller kicked the can. ( Would reboot during every print ) hardware thermal issue, not firmware.

Have you sent G-Codes to the Printer using Cura 15.04.6
hcbrenner
Reactions:

Post by hcbrenner »

Thanks for the advice and guidance - I will follow your instructions and report back. On the G-Codes I have not used Cura 15.04.6. Instead I normally use Pronterface. Is this a potential issue?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I believe that Marlin 15.04.6 uses Pronterface UI but do not quote me.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Yes, it does (if you enable it). Miss that interface, but at least setting up and using Octoprint gives me back some direct control again.
hcbrenner
Reactions:

Post by hcbrenner »

Just to report back as promised - I did clear/reset as instructed but with no joy. Some additional troubleshooting helped me determine that the Y-axis is ok. Direction of travel and limit switch trigger is correct. Z-axis is running in the normal direction, but the board is not recognizing my new inductive proximity switch. It triggers, as indicated by led, but the signal is not picked up by the board and travel continues/crashes. Finally, I have my crazy X-axis which is clearly running in reverse with similar limit switch behavior. I am starting to wonder if this is somehow linked to my new Z-axis proximity switch. Its really the only new element in the setup. I am going to try it without the new inductive probe and see what happens!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

I think both of these issues are likely related (and can be easily fixed) to your firmware configuration.h file.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Have you taken any measurement from the Z-Axis connector to see it any of the pins are open or shorted.
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 17050 times
I found one of my controllers had a open trace (shown above), I soldered the broken trace

Do you have a configuration.h file you can show us. Would take a look if you have one. (I have two Hictop 3DPxx's)
hcbrenner
Reactions:

Post by hcbrenner »

You guys are too kind. Attached is my configuration.h file.
Attachments
Configuration.h
(55.55 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Looking at you configuration file custom name is limited to 13 characters for MLCD2004 Displays or they will cause the top line to display incorrectly.

#define CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME "DKDGWi HICTOP 3DPDK" // DKDGWi

As you have not provided us with your Proximity sensor make or model, will explain using my proximity sensor.
The Z-Axis is proximity sensor is controlled by the following lines shown are my settings used with a Normally Closed "TL-W3MC2 " Proximity Sensor
// Mechanical endstop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to same logic as "Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING".

I have enabled it allows homing of a single axis

#define INDIVIDUAL_AXIS_HOMING_MENU

and in configuration_adv.h enabled both baby stepping and advanced pause
#define BABYSTEPPING
#define ADVANCED_PAUSE_FEATURE
hcbrenner
Reactions:

Post by hcbrenner »

Sorry, I am using the Uxcell LJ18A3-8-Z/BX 3-Wire DC6-36V 300mA NPN NO 8mm Inductive Proximity Sensor Switch.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you, It look's as though your code is correct.

You could try to the Enable the Disable individual pull-up for Your Proximity may not like the pull-up resistor.
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN_PROBE

Have you measured the voltage level output from the proximity sensor. (Between the Black and Blue wires.)

And just to verify your wiring below
Brown wire is source Vcc
Black is signal
and Blue is ground
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 17001 times
http://www.ekt2.com/pdf/14_PROXIMITY_INDUCTIVE_18EX.pdf

Return to “General Questions”