Need a bit of help deciding on upgrade or new

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Busby
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3dp-11

Need a bit of help deciding on upgrade or new

Post by Busby »

Hi all I have a Hictop Prusa i3 3dp-11 and I need to rebuild it as I had a moment of rage and threw it.

Yea i know if your are going to play with 3D printers you need to have patience lol.

I can't seem to decide if i would be better off rebuilding it or if I should buy a new printer.

It has no upgrades done to it apart from a metal bed carriage as I had the early version which had a perspex one.

With you guys that have done the upgrades would you personally think it would be better to upgrade my current printer with Marlin firmware, auto leveling, z-axis screws (which I already have) and anything else that would make this even better.
Or just put my money towards a new 3D printer ?

I did get some really nice prints from it before my rage tantrum which is why I need a bit of advice to which path to take.

Thanks 😉
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Need a bit of help deciding on upgrade or new

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Before I help you!, Are you going to throw it again.

If "Yes"
---what do you want for it
Elseif "No"
---continue reading.
EndIf.

I have two 3D Printers 3DP11 and a 3DP12 both upgraded to better than Stock though equal with each other.

The Hictop 3DP11 is a fairly strong 3D Printer, Though Post a picture of any damage.
We may be able to determining what would be the best policy. If all the 2020 aluminum frame stock is unbent.
The Electronics still function and the controller still function, I would say fix it. I will help you get to 3D Print...

All original firmware / manuals / assembly instructions is located on the manufactures web site.
They also have an excellent warranty if you know who to talk to about your problems.
However I do not believe throwing it would be covered under the factories normal warranty.

When I received my 3DP11 there was no instructions on how to assemble the 3D Printer.
I found Hackaweek youtube video set that help me immensely.

I have all version of marlin 1.1.x configured for the Printer and can assist you in getting it functioning correctly.
Though let's start with the newest Marlin 1.1.9 no reason in my opinion starting on a lower version.
The Firmware I have is setup for original SN04-N Proximity sensor also have setup for a better low profile TLW3MC2 Proximity sensor.
Including auto bed leveling with axis baby stepping and most usable firmware functions ...

The Twins 2018-3.JPG
Busby
Reactions:

Post by Busby »

Answer to your 1st question NO I am not going to be throwing it again.

There doesn't seem to be any damage to any of the electronics or frame work, the only damage is to the z-axis threaded rod mounts but I have the upgrade z-axis kit already to replace that.

I am not sure if I have the correct board for the latest Marlin firmware, how would I check to see if it is the correct board ?
Controller
Controller
Not sure if it makes much difference but my PSU is 12v 20Amp

Thanks for all the video links and your printers look amazing.

Thank you for helping with this.

Some of the prints I managed with it.
3D prints
3D prints
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have loaded the Firmware on Base v1.3 M, MPX.3 and MPX V1 with no problems.

I have both supplies the older S-250-12 20Amp Power supplies and the newer 24V S-360-24 15Amp Power Supplies.
The Controller does not care, Though I have added a aluminum heat-sink bar to the controllers for added protection.
Using a transistor mouting kit

mounting.gif
mounting.gif (8.41 KiB) Viewed 15363 times
Controller 2.jpg

I designed a controller case with a cooling fan. that is available for download on this forum.

New Case Layout1.jpg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

The 3DP11 will be much easier to use after you upgrade to a Proximity sensor.

Original SN40-N On a thumb screw adjustable mount.

SN04N-1.jpg

New TL-W3MC2 On a modified thumb screw adjustable mount.
This is my preferred low profile Sensor

TL-W3M.jpg
Busby
Reactions:

Post by Busby »

I have the heatsinks & the SN40-N ordered, Would you recommend doing the carriage bed bearing upgrade ? I have a after market carriage bed as the one mine was supplied with was perspex and ended up snapping when I upgraded the bed springs to stiffer ones.

Is there any other upgrades that you would recommend doing to make it better ?

I also have a clone E3D hotend that I purchased but never put on. Would you say it is worth upgrading to that at a later date once the printer is up and running again or not worth it ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I would suggest 3D Printing an adjustable SN04-N mount this makes it so easy to get the nozzle to that perfect 1st layer height quickly.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1258415

No firmware changes are required to add the SN04-N proximity sensor to your 3D Printer, need only plug the sensor into same Z-end-stop.

The SN04-N wires as shown.

SN04-N Wiring.jpg

Signal, Gnd, 5V
Black, Blue, Brown
Busby
Reactions:

Post by Busby »

Thanks for the link to the mount I was wondering which one to use, Any idea what type of plug that is as I think mine is arriving bare wires and no plug on the end. I think it looks like a 2.54mm JST XH but I cant be sure as I can't seem to find answer on google.

Would it be possible to upload the new firmware before adding the SN04-N so that I can then print out the mount or would I need to connect it before running the printer ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

The Hictop 3DP11/3DP12 Contoller Snap together case is located Here

The Hictop Snap Controller Case has two different bases one without SD card one with SD card Slot on back of the controller card...
I covered the inside of the Top case with Aluminum foil Duct tape and Grounded as a precaution to reduce EFI noise.

Looks like somehow I added the Wrong Stl file on the other page below is the Y-Endstop stepper mount End stop rest.
I have a Y-Axis tough Plate that mounts on the rear Stepper motor.

Y-End stop.jpg

Hictop Y-Endstop stepper mount v7.stl
(30.94 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Busby
Reactions:

Post by Busby »

Thanks for the links any idea what the plug is on the SN04 ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Yes it is a 3-Pin JST-XH2-54mm Socket Connector I also listed a box set, I do not have a crimp tool for the box set so purchased ones with leads, and shrink wrap to the Proximity Sensor leads. The Proximity sensor shown in previous post was made by Hictop. Did not post Proximity sensors I made as not to confuse you. Wire colors are different from the proximity sensors
or
JST-XH Kit 2p 3p 4p 5 Pin 2.54mm Terminal Housing PCB Header Wire Connectors
Busby
Reactions:

Post by Busby »

Cool I should have some of them from my rc parts, I am just waiting on all the parts to arrive that I have ordered then I will start the full rebuild.

Thought it might be a good idea to change out all of the bearings whilst I am having to take it all apart and do the 4th bearing on the bed carriage just for good measure.

I noticed that the heatbed wires looked a little black where they go into the controller so I will change the power wires out while I am rebuilding it, would it be worth adding the power module do you think ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-MOSFET- ... 0005.m1851
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Have not tried the Power Mosfet modules, have heard good and bad about them.
Some are labeled with a power rating 25 - 40 watts though the mosfets themselves are rated for much less power.
Some are incorrectly installed and fail to work needing wiring corrected.

To give you a hand up Here is a correct way to install the Power mosfet.

https://3dprint.wiki/reprap/electronics/heatbed_mosfet

The wire should be tinned and inserted into the connectors for best conductivity.
I normally shape it to best fit in type of connector that will be using. Twist the wires tightly insert into the connector clamp to shape.
Remove wire from connector tinning without reshaping wire as to make for a better fit into the compression connection you' are using..

There are good and bad articles about having a fourth bearing installed, I have installed a four bearing and say I like it best...
Busby
Reactions:

Post by Busby »

Thanks for the link and for the advice on everything, I think I will try the module and hope it does what it is meant to.

I am trying to read up on how to do the fine tuning but I don't really understand it very well at the moment. I will continue to try and learn as much as I can whilst waiting for all the new parts to arrive before I can start the rebuild though so hopefully I won't be asking you to baby step me through everything. :oops:
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

There is nothing wrong with asking for help, it is always a good ideal to learn as much as possible.

Though we all get to the point that we need a little help and it is nice to have some place to go when we need help.

Return to “General Questions”