Changing Filament - Very difficult.

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Tech Gorilla
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3, Hictop 3DP-17

Changing Filament - Very difficult.

Post by Tech Gorilla »

When I try and retract the filament by hand (with nozzle at temp) so I can change it, the filament invariably breaks at the throat of the nozzle and I must remove the fan and use a wire to push the remaining filament out the nozzle. This is increasingly a pain in the butt. I know I am doing something wrong, but what? :-x
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Changing Filament - Very difficult.

Post by Lez0 »

I have had the same problem with my Folger FT5. It has the extruder motor close to the nozzle so I believe it's a different design.
The last time it broke I simply pushed the filament through by hand to feed it through. This pushed the broken piece out, different colour so you could so it. I then pulled the filament out leaving the nozzle clear. I think the problem is the plastic in the nozzle expands up past the nozzle and cools when it up to temperature but not being used and is too thick to come back out.
So try pushing a piece of filament into the nozzle to clear out the old one. I know it will involve undoing the bowden tube but it look like it would be easier than stripping the nozzle.
Lez
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

While I don't have a FT printer, the principles are the same. I always extrude about 10mm before pulling the existing filament out. Whether it is my 3DP-17 (direct feed) or my CR-10S (bowden).
Tech Gorilla
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3, Hictop 3DP-17

Post by Tech Gorilla »

I pushed the filament down when the hotend was heated and for the first time, I was able to pull out the ABS filament to switch it to the Ender. Huzah!

Return to “General Questions”