Where Do I Start?

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Where Do I Start?

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I guess one can use anything that works for them, Personally still using Cura 15.04.6 for most of my slicing.
On occasion I Slice with many other slicers that have found. Each having its own special characteristics.
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Post by Mr SNG »

Happy days! Just acquired an Acer 5532 64 bit laptop and installing Cura 4.2.1 x64.

Now moved the printer upstairs to my office so that its by the main pc where I can hopefully learn to get this machine setup and running!

Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I remember back when my 3D Printers looked just like that.

I have two of the same, well almost I have a 3DP11 and a 3DP12 that have been modified from original threw
most Marlin 1.1.x and have them on Marlin 2.0.x

I have Added color and changed the LCD mounting placing the LCD off the front T-Slot.
I have changed the proximity Sensor SN04 to a low profile TL-W3MC2.
Other than these simple changes they are still Hictop 3DP11/12 machines.
Blu.jpg
Then moving filament spool off 3D Printer and onto the back panel of the environmental chamber.
The Twins 2018-3.JPG
Need any help with any just post your questions? we will be here to help you with your 3D Printer.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

They do you credit love the colour schemes! 8-)

So basically now that I have decided to use a new pc its back to square one, currently trying to get Cura installed properly as I 'm getting a 0x000007b code when I try opening the software.

It may well be that this pc has not been updated for quite a while as there are about 60 Windows updates outstanding, so I guess I must get this task completed first before I do anything else as it could be a NET framework issue or something.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Hi Cliff

Need your help please!

Last few days been surfing the web and watching youtube videos about all the types of software that's available, hell there is a lot to choose from too!

So my machine is already to be flashed but I would like to first backup the original firmware, so which software do I use and how do I do this?

Cheers
Dave
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

@Mr SNG
Sorry to tell you this there is no software that can backup the preloaded firmware.

Instead you can download the original Hex file from the manufactures website here Marlin_3DP12_Hex
It made me nervous too so to relieve my nerves is purchased complete backup controller before I proceeded.
Now I have flashed so many times don't even think twice about it, though now have many backups I know work.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Yes I have already downloaded 3DP12 so that makes me feel better that this is the original Hex file if things go tits up!

So keeping things simple I have downloaded Marlin-1.1.9BF can that be loaded using Cura?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

No it has to be compiled Using and Arduino IDE,
I use Arduino IDE 1.9.0 Beta though it states that Arduino 1.6.8 and up work.
Download from here

Unfortunately have never used a Hex file have always used an Arduino IDE or Platform IO
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Downloaded and installed Arduino 1.6.8.

There are quite a few of later versions so would I be correct in assuming you have recommended 1.6.8 as it is more stable or something?

I realise that this may come across as a bit of a liberty, but to save me time watching yet more youtube vids! Could you please help me with some sort of fast track guide on using this software? It would be really appreciate.

One other thing I forgot to do was to to check system requirements for Cura, the laptop I am using has a Radeon AMD HD3200 graphics card, which is upgraded to GL 3.3. so I'm going to try out Cura 2.7
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Using Arduino 1.6.8 or higher (" Was showing the lowest version of Arduino to successfully Compile ") load Marlin.
Setup as per image below
Image2.jpg
" Board: Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560 "
" Processor:ATmega2560(Mega2560) "
Compile with no errors
Image5.jpg
Plug 3D Printer into Computer
Select Port of 3D Printer and upload. Firmware
This will take a few minutes so be patient, When upload is complete 3D Printer will reboot.

Load Cura enter terminal mode
Send M502 ;Reload Factory
Send M500 ;Save Settings
You should be set.

However do not like to take shortcuts, Watch the Video

Do not take flashing any device lightly. most mistakes can be forgiving and correctly re-flashed.
Remember that this needs to be done correctly, major mistakes can disable or even kill your controller.
A major mistake can be as simple as a power failure during a flash, always use a laptop computer or
A computer on a UPS battery Backup system with sufficient backup time to finish the flash.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

I used to flash satellite cards some years back so I understand a little about the do's and don'ts regarding EEPROM's, hence why I've not tried flashing my printer yet as I'm still learning about Arduino...... A lot to take in isn't there!

Thanks once again for your guidance Cliff.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

There is a lot there, although with the information you already have it should not take much more to for you.

The firmware is pre-configured for a stock 3DP12 with a SN04-N Proximity Sensor.
The settings for Arduino have been shown to you in a previous post.

Now you can test compile to check for errors. You can test to see if you can control the 3D Printer from Cura.
Try a M119 this will show the the results of the End Stops
Try a M503 this will display all Printers Settings.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

Took a break from Arduino this evening trying to get my head around this software as it was starting to fry my brain! Instead downloaded Pronteface and configured the usb port then played around with Cura. Also learned about including G29 and G1 Y260 F4500 in the start/End Gcode.

Going to sort the bed settings out tomorrow, once done then going to take another look at Arduino once more.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Mr SNG wrote: October 8th, 2019, 6:17 pm
Going to sort the bed settings out tomorrow, once done then going to take another look at Arduino once more.
Great learning is !

Need help post questions.
Mr SNG
Reactions:

Post by Mr SNG »

I most certainly will ! Many thanks for your help so far.

A couple of more questions for you: Would I be correct in assuming that the USB has to be configured in order to use Arduino ?

Also: Is it better to use the SD card over USB for GCodes when printing ?

Return to “General Questions”