Hictop 3dp-12 help

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Ellou
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-12

Hictop 3dp-12 help

Post by Ellou »

Ive had the printer for I think 4-5 years and never did any real maintenance or upgrades.

Ive printed PLA, TPU and Petg with little problems other then aesthetics. The prints functioned good enough for my needs so never really worried about getting better prints. I believe I upgraded or attempted to upgrade the firmware at some point over 2 years ago but cant remember where I got the firmware from or if I reverted back to stock but since around that time I keep getting a z probe out error when auto leveling. From researching some setting must be wrong in the firmware but since it didnt hurt the print (I dont think it did) I didnt worry about it. recently Ive been having a "heating failed" message pop up when starting a print and I thought I solved it by re-seating all the power and heater wires. It happened again today after 2 weeks but just once.

After watching a few Teaching Tech videos on Youtube about tuning you printer my PLA prints look so much better and seem much stronger. That made me want to get my printer working as best as it could. Googling and youtube didnt have much on this printer so I ordered the ender 3 pro but I would like to get this one printing well.

Things Ive done so far:
Tightened belts
lubed rods and bearings
changed bad bed bearings
Went over Teachingtechs video about tuning your slicer
After I get the parts I need printed Im going to go over tuning the Machine firmware and upgrading to a newer version of Marlin if possible.

1. Im ordering the Bigtreetech skr mini v2 board with touchscreen for the ender 3, I wanted to know will I have an issue upgrading the hictop to the same setup? Could I use the control board/lcd from the ender 3 pro on the hictop?

2. I want to use a glass bed so should I just ditch the stock inductive probe and go manual or is BL Touch a simple upgrade?

3. Is it worth it to upgrade the Power supply on the hictop if its still working or is there a benefit (Other then quality/piece of mind) going to a meanwell PS?

Im currently printing some of the recommended upgrades for the Ender 3 pro and will print some additions for the 3dp-12. Im just having a hard time finding current information or specific information about the upgrades I want to make. Im pretty good at tinkering and following directions but with editing the code and what boards will/wont work with what Im not that knowledgeable. So please give opinions/advice/direction about whatever I posted or what would be a better bang for my buck.

I acknowledge this is more of a ramble then a post but I just had my coffee and wasnt sure what would be pertinent.
Last edited by Ellou on July 29th, 2020, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellou
Reactions:

Re: Hictop 3dp-12 help

Post by Ellou »

I really neglected this thing. Please help me make it up to it. :oops:
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have posted all version of Marlin firmware that I have updated for my 3DP11 on many threads in 3D Printing Forum.

But would post another link to my Marlin firmware again if needed.
I have never added a BL Touch to the Marlin firmware though most likely someone has and we can get their input to help change firmware.
Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

Thanks for replying. Yeah Ive seen your posts but wasnt sure if I still needed to comment anything in or out. Also if my board is to old for the newer versions of marlin.

Do you know if I can use the stock board and lcd from the ender 3 pro on the hictop? I would think so as long as the firmware is correct but I dont want to assume anything.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Ellou wrote: July 29th, 2020, 4:56 pm Yeah Ive seen your posts but wasn't sure if I still needed to comment anything in or out. Also if my board is to old for the newer versions of marlin.
I have used the Original controller's both the Base V1.3 and MPX.3 work with the same firmware up to Marlin 2.0.3.
Have not configures or flashed a higher version of Marlin as of this date.

I ordered the newest MPK v1 and installed the the same firmware. I found this MPX-v1 controller and should also work

I have also installed Marlin v2 firmware on a RAMPS 1.6 3D PRINTER CONTROLLER + Mega 2560 for my MPCNC.
Ellou wrote: July 29th, 2020, 4:56 pm Do you know if I can use the stock board and lcd from the ender 3 pro on the hictop? I would think so as long as the firmware is correct but I dont want to assume anything.
I see no reason why Ender 3 pro controller will not work though I have no experience using it.

When I started out I purchased spares of the original controllers.
I have decided if controller dies will use a MKS Integrated Ramps or a RAMPS 1.6 3D PRINTER CONTROLLER + Mega 2560.
These controllers have the ramps plugin stepper motor driver modules, and will give me a longer controller life.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on September 8th, 2020, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

Ok. Sorry for the late update. Good news is I did already flash a bootloader on my board and I used your Marlin 2.0 firmware to get it flashed. Before flashing I went through some of the settings that I've read most impact the printer. Everything looked the same.

After flashing my z was reversed and Arduino wasn't recognizing my board anymore so I couldn't change it in firmware. Switched 2 pins on the z axis wires and seemed to be working normally. Although the steps didn't seem to correspond with how much I was turning the dial.

Tried to home and the x access seemed like it didn't know where it wanted to go, then slid to the correct side hit the probe and started grinding and freaking out. I thought maybe it was reversed like z and was fighting itself to go the right way. Switched wires and seemed to work better but then it was actually reversed. I couldn't use the LCD to make it move, same as z control movements don't seem to match physical movements on printer. Like their skipping steps or maybe this is the baby steps thing I see people mentioning.

After switching back the wires tried to home again. X freaked out and started making grinding/buzzing noise, z went down back up a little stopped in the middle and crashed down onto the build plate. Like the probe doesn't exist. I'm still using the stock sno4.

I went over the stock firmware and your 2.0 config and (config.adv) I think the other one is and everything appears to be the same outside of the new Marlin features. I turned off filament runout and made sure the static probe was uncommented.

Any ideas what I could possibly be missing?

My main reason for updating the firmware is so I can set z offset. The stock firmware doesn't appear to allow certain changes. I can send certain gcode but other gcode it just ignores

Also after setting up my ender 3 pro and manually leveling that I realize now I've never had this printer setup correctly. I've had good prints but nothing like the ender 3. I'm sure this is because of me not taking my time tuning it but it's keeping up my determination to get the hictop working.

Let me know if any additional info would be useful. Thanks again for your help. This has been the only site I've been able to find any good info on this printer.
Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

"I have a Marlin 1.1.5 That I am currently Using.
There are only a few changes that would have to be made to it to configure it back to the stock Hictop 3DP11.

I have Baby Steps enabled, Auto Bed leveling for a TL-W3MC2 that would need to be change Z-Axis to invert true to false to work with SN04N
A filament sensor that would need to be disabled - unless you have a filament sensor.
Change the Lead Screw from TR8-2 ( 2mm Rise per single turn )1600 back to the Stock 2560 or 400 depending on which lead screw you have.

I believe that is all that is needed.

Now I purchased a spare Controller before I flashed my Controller just in case. So no I have a spare for Both my Hictops"

Just found that in the thread regarding flashing 1.1.8 I think it was. The person had a 3dp11 but sounds like it could lead to the issues I'm having.

I don't think I saw an option specific to the sno4n probe in config.h. Would that be static probe or did I miss it?

I didn't know or see an option for lead screw either. Is the lead screw the z axis threaded rod? How would I determine which one I have?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

This is something that most do not do when flashing the firmware. You have to read the firmware and save the changes to EEprom.
Connect you Computer via a USB cable using a terminal to your 3D Printer send the following commands.
M502 ; read the firmware settings
M500 ; save settings to EEprom

HIctop
Has the HEX files and source code for your 3DP11 they originally used on above web site.

I have two Hictop 3D Printers a 3DP11 and a 3DP12 Using the firmware with stock controllers.
If you need help post the firmware you flashed to a share like Google Drive and post a link will take a look at your configuration.

If you have made any changes to the hardware post those changes as well.
all is stock on my 3D Printers exceptions I added a filament run-out switch to Z-Max end-stop, the Bed Sensor TL-W3MC2 and lead screws T8-2.

Well other changes did not require firmware configurations changes..
The Twins 2018-3.JPG
You are lucky I read the post, just had my windows 10 build 2004 (May update) crash several times and Take out much of my computers data.
After restoring a Windows 7 pro x64 ghost backup from 3-Mar 2016 as all other backups had corrupt registry entry's and would not allow
me install my new version of Microsoft Visual Studio spending many many hours now up and running again.
Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

I actually have the 3dp-12

Marlin 2.0.3 from your Google drive. No hardware changes and using stock sno4 probe.

I'll try to save to eeprom and flash with an SD card when I get home from work.

I really think those changes you made are what's tripping me up. I'll try to find those settings but if you can help that would be great.

I've worked in IT for 5 years and have seen so many PC's crap out. (Knock on wood) so far has never happened to me but I usually still keep a backup on an external drive. Mostly just for pictures and videos but setting up a PC to your taste from scratch is so aggravating.

Thanks again for your help.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

OK!!!
Though the Google drive has the Stock configurations so it sould be compatible with out of the box 3DP08 - 3DP12
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Spoke too soon, Windows 7 would not boot today. Cloning the Drive then I will do a chkdsk / scandisk to see what is going on.
Could be hard drive failure, copying that data is a good way to have a backup I can see the data if it is loaded as D: Drive on windows 10.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Free for Home users is 5% from finishing the C: Partition clone.

Hope I can save it. As I said some of my programs will not register their plugins.
Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

Ive had the hardest time getting help with this printer so take your time and I appreciate whatever help you are able to give.

Last night I tried to save to the eeprom (store settings) but the printer didn't want to comply. I installed chips 1.1.1r6 firmware and besides z axis needing to be reversed everything seems to have been ok. His settings are much different then stock but I can tune those as I get more familiar and comfortable with Marlin. I keep getting that heating failed message though. I'm going to go through and solder the wires going to the board since some are very thin. If I get it working well again I'm definitely updating the power supply.

It actually ran much quieter after updating the firmware. Hopefully I can tune my z offset and get a sample print tonight. I'm still planning to add a new z probe and upgrade to 2.0 but at least now the printers functional again.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Ellou wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:19 pm Ive had the hardest time getting help with this printer so take your time and I appreciate whatever help you are able to give.

Last night I tried to save to the EEProm (store settings) but the printer didn't want to comply. I installed chips 1.1.1r6 firmware and besides z axis needing to be reversed everything seems to have been OK. His settings are much different then stock but I can tune those as I get more familiar and comfortable with Marlin. I keep getting that heating failed message though. I'm going to go through and solder the wires going to the board since some are very thin. If I get it working well again I'm definitely updating the power supply.

It actually ran much quieter after updating the firmware. Hopefully I can tune my z offset and get a sample print tonight. I'm still planning to add a new z probe and upgrade to 2.0 but at least now the printers functional again.

Chips Setting are a really good place to start learning.
If it were not for Chips efforts would not have configured most version of Marlin 1.1.X and Marlin 2.x.x.
His post got me to trust in flashing all the firmware. I have a folder for all working Version installed. Testing folders are for testing only
Some free programs that have proved invaluable to me
Notepad++ - A better notepad
WinMerge - is an Open Source differentiating and merging tool for Windows.
Fusion 360 - Free to hobbyist
ect...

I will never be off the forums have more than one computer with multiple hard drives for each in case of a crash.
Too bad most clones are not in the same year.
Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

So I went through the chips config.h again and saw that in the thread he said his threaded rods where different. In the stock firmware the steps show 80,80,400, 94.

I changed that because I was having an issue with the z axis raising a couple millimeters each layers. First layer is going down better then I ever could get it but second layer is a loose mess. After updating to stock numbers same issue.

Default_axis_steps_per_unit

Is there another place that would affect how the rods move?

Sorry I'm not home yet but will get more specific details later.
Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,398,94.4962144}

Those are the stock settings for the 3dp12 and worked before updating. After entering that 398 I still get the z axis moving to high at each layers.

Return to “General Questions”