OctoPrint

Wireless/network connectivity to print, control and monitor prints!
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Re: OctoPrint

Post by Amedee »

I actually got a lot of trouble with the SD-Cards on my first Pi's. The stock SD holder was really bad and generated a lot of trouble. Now with the B+ and newer these issues are gone and I wouldn't mind attaching it to the printer...
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

I agree, the SD card holder in the first A and B models was crap :-) I lost a few installations due to file system corruption caused by contact problems. Since the move to micro-SD I have not seen such issues anymore. After the SD slot finally broke completely on my B model, I repaired it and converted it to micro SD. Since then this one also works flawless.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

martin-bienz wrote:
Would be carefull at the moment with built in wifi... still connection issues as amedee posted earlier.

I would simply buy a pi2, a raspi cam or take your existing usb camera. I am sure you have a good quality usb charger laying around? Just try it out, you can allways later buy a new charger if it would not work. You have a micro sd allready? should work.
The case, printed of course. :)
I appreciate you pointing this out. Maybe newer isn't always better!

I do have a router in the basement and open ports, so if i wanted to avoid wifi issues, I could just run some CAT6 cable to the ethernet port on the Pi.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I created a new area (Wireless Printing and Controllers) and moved this thread there :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I keep reading the OctoPrint site and watching the videos...and if I wasn't already backlogged in tasks, I would love to build an Octo box :)
Chaco
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HyperCube & Hictop Prusa i3 3DP-08

Post by Chaco »

It would be so cool if this could install on Android. It already has camera, wifi and plenty storage. I could dedicate one of my old phones to do this task,... Sigh... Time to Google's more about it
MTVDNA
Reactions:

Post by MTVDNA »

Well, Octoprint is just like Android based on Linux, so I suppose with a lot of effort you might get it to work. However it doesn't seem like a practical solution to me because you need to connect it to your machine using USB to send the g-code. This probably means your phone will have to run off of its battery, which is just asking for trouble imho.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

You can't wifi & send the file to the sd?
MTVDNA
Reactions:

Post by MTVDNA »

Well if your machine has wifi that might work, but I think that would make it far less useful. Sure, you can still monitor the webcam. But if I understand correctly Octoprint also allows you to adjust print settings (speed, temperature, etc.) remotely while printing, or pause the print if something seems wrong. That won't work anymore when you print from SD card.

Return to “Wireless Printing and Controllers”