[News] Prusa i3 MK2 release!

Prusa i3 printer discussion...the official one from Josef Prusa
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

[News] Prusa i3 MK2 release!

Post by Amedee »

Josef Průša has recently announced a new version of his Prusa i3 printer: the MK2
It is available as a complete kit or an upgrade for the original i3.
Picture prusaprinters.org
Picture prusaprinters.org
Main new features:
  • New HeatBed
  • PEI print surface
  • Full mesh bed auto leveling
  • Bigger print volume
Read the original announcement...
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Re: [News] Prusa i3 MK2 release!

Post by nilrog »

I was looking at the original Prusa 6 months ago. But I ditched it for an UMO+ mainly for the support I saw around UM printers. But also a number of "cheap" things he did to the Mk1, like using plain threaded rods for the Z-axis etc. Had this version been available then I would probably have bought it...or I would have had to think more before deciding :)

I'm curious about the PEI print surface. On paper it sounds amazing...but is it that good in real life? Anyone tried it?

And it seems that auto-leveling is a big feature these days with many printer manufacturers. But even if, as in this case, they say that they modified Marlin to improve it. I still can't see it as a replacement for a properly leveled bed. If the bed is slighly tilted so you need to compensate for it by adjusting the height of the hotend...that will create a "jagged" surface, right?
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

It is indeed a nice printer, and there are indeed very good ideas.

It is the first time i hear about PEI, I am curious as well.

Auto-leveling seems to be the feature everybody talks about, E3D had very fun videos for their BigBox with the bed completely off-level.
I am leveling my beds once a year, so I am not sure either I really need this. But I can see advantage for a mesh calibration to get a nice first layer when the bed is not perfectly flat.
darkdvd
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2/UM2+

Post by darkdvd »

LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Thanks for that, Darkdvd....I was trying to sort out what PEI was :)

This looks really neat, at 1/3 the cost of an Ultimaker 2+....I am reading and tempted...curious how others like theirs!
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

It looks like black-magic, all you supposedly need to do is to wipe off any grease with alcohol or some soap. But it seems a bit tricky to buy on this side of the pond.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

This is nice...for those who just recently bought the original version...even so far back as 1.5 months prior to the announcement of Mk2...
If you purchased the Original Prusa i3 between April, 1st and May, 15th 2016, please contact us. We will offer you a sweet deal price for the upgrade.
(source: http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printer-p ... e-kit.html)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Has anyone seen any reviews on this new model yet? I see they are quite backordered
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

I have seen some prints on twitter and they all look nice...

Further than that the Prusa I3 is a well known basis, and this one is an improved version.

For an affordable machine I would definitely buy it, and I would get it directly from Josef instead of buying a Chinese clone. At the end you get what you pay for, and when you will have replaced your PSU, electronics and spend many hours to get a running firmware I'm not sure an Asian clone is still a good deal...
Just saying ... ;)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I avoid the Chinese clones....I really try not to be lured into their low priced copies

I see Chip has been very very busy doing a lot of work with them

I'd love to try out a Prusa...but I really want an Ultimaker 2+....but I sense we are close to a new version at some point!
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

There will always be a new and better version if you wait long enough ;)
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Post by Chip Luck »

LePaul wrote:I avoid the Chinese clones....I really try not to be lured into their low priced copies

I see Chip has been very very busy doing a lot of work with them

I'd love to try out a Prusa...but I really want an Ultimaker 2+....but I sense we are close to a new version at some point!
Yep, has been a lot of work. However between myself, Calvin and a few others for $300 and then learning the thing, upgrading firmware and hardware i.e. bearings, the printer is now doing quite well. As far as threaded rod, I'm still using threaded rod however these were supplied to me my a machinist friend, dead straight stainless steel and machined to fit custom motor couplers and have NO issues in z-axis. Stock China ones were warped.

Auto bed leveling? It should be called auto z-height. If your bed is not dead square to start with, well your first layer is going to suffer. Unless you had miniature servo's on the bed mounting screws/springs it would not matter. Just a setting in firmware and personally I never use it. However I could see it enabled in the near future!

That new version i3 sure looks promising, just might be my next printer. Upgrade kit for my current one? Maybe.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Chip you have a great following in here. I think what helps is the forum is frequently visited by search engine spiders. Sometimes when I search for answers, links to the forum come up!

I have a real soft spot for the Ultimaker, I have met many great Ultimaker people over the years (as you see them in here). But I am tempted to explore some less expensive printers at times... :)
Chip Luck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP Reprap Prusa I3

Post by Chip Luck »

Paul, I have noticed the web search like "Hictop firmware" and bam your right towards the top of the search. You are welcome I've now made you famous, and if you ever sell this domain I want part of the proceeds. <G>

Ultimaker's were out of my budget and had heard a lot about them, but this once cheap printer is now running 0.1mm prints just fine. The newer Prusa shown here seems to have all the hardware issues solved. When you are just printing large BB-8 parts, does it really matter though? Price for a few 'cheap' ones and you can really crank out some parts. Besides, Annie from China cut us a special deal on the HIC i3 for BB-8 builders. And these things are, well... not for the faint of heart!

Cheers

---
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well I'm in the Sphere project and those prints need a bed bigger than my Ultimaker Original. Not sure about the China stuff....still :)

Return to “Original Prusa i3 MK Series printer”