What materials have you used on the FT5?

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

What materials have you used on the FT5?

Post by Lez0 »

Hi all
I have been printing on the FT5 for a few months now and I am looking at different material.
I started with PLA and am now using ABS, great on smaller parts, problems with larger parts.
I was looking at PETG but it seems the recommended temperature of the nozzle is too high for the Folger FT5 (235-265°C)
The FT5 won't go over 245°C.
It seems HIPS is the same.
Has anybody successfully printed any other materials apart from PLA and ABS?

Thanks

Les0
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: What materials have you used on the FT5?

Post by LePaul »

Not I ! :)
Oldsjunkie
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Folgertech FT-5

Post by Oldsjunkie »

I know this thread is a little long in the tooth, but I've been getting decent prints with Hatchbox PETG at 235C and 70C on the bed. Glue stick on blue tape on mirror...Got those layers! Been using my FT-5 for a couple months and we're finally starting to understand each other a bit.

Wasn't going to post any pics until I got it dialed dead on, but I'm not convinced they're going to get a ton better with the stock extruder/hotend setup. They're definitely good enough I'm going to steer toward PETG for most of my everyday stuff I think.
Attachments
petg4edit.jpg
petg3edit.jpg
petg2edit.jpg
petg1edit.jpg
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

Hi Oldsjunkie
Thanks for the reply. I bought some PETG to try and I have had some good prints off it. I bought a composite material mat for the bed and it's great. If it's clean the prints stick to it, the only problem is getting them off. I use a sharp knife to get between the print off the mat. As they are cheap I don't mind if I damage the mat, the only problem is getting it off the glass as it sticks to it really well, warm water and scraping seems the only answer to getting the glue off the glass that's left behind from the mat.
Anyway PETG. This sticks fine to the mat and I use the default settings in Cura and the prints turn out OK, a little stingy, but OK.
I did a couple of tall ones about 200mm and these were also good.
I gave up on ABS for large parts as they would warp badly, even in an enclosure.
When I have time I am going to look at materials that are stronger the PETG/PLA.
I'll keep you posted.

Lez
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

The FT-5 is on my radar to rehab and upgrade! So far only PLA prints came off of it
Oldsjunkie
Reactions:

Post by Oldsjunkie »

Yes, the stringing can be an issue and the retraction settings are really influential whether you'll get a good result or not with PETG. I'm going to run some eSun Natural (clear) tonight and see if it reacts the same. Looks like they're recommending higher temps than Hatchbox, which brings the stringing back into the equation... I'm curious to see if the natural is less stringy since I have a completely unfounded theory that the colorant affects that.

Going to try some TPU as well since I got a spool of Sainsmart in translucent orange today with my PETG. I'm thinking with the direct drive it will be doable, but with no retraction. I've upgraded to a higher quality stainless Hob gear on the stock extruder as well since the brass one seemed a little dull/worn after 100 hours of PLA or so. I'm hoping she'll push it okay.

We shall see!!
Oldsjunkie
Reactions:

Post by Oldsjunkie »

The extruder choked pretty badly on the TPU after a few minutes each time. Benchy rafts... Retraction off, was melting nice but would quit pushing right after it tested ready to go. Pretty sure I'm seeing heat creep softening an already sketchy filament feed situation. The eSun clear PETG prints well at 240C and 70C on the bed though. We ran a 300MM or so tall geometric vase that's nearly perfect.

I had planned to go Titan Aero soon anyway and this shows that I wasn't thinking incorrectly. I have to say though, for what it is I've been pretty happy with the prints from the stock assembly.

I run Marlin 1.1.8 on the FT-5 and the Beta version of Cura for chopping models.

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”