Part cooling fan tied to Y?

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
Oldsjunkie
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Folgertech FT-5

Part cooling fan tied to Y?

Post by Oldsjunkie »

Hi folks. New member here. Had my FT-5 up and running well for about 2 weeks and have had pretty good luck and nice prints so far. I've run into the most odd thing though. I added a part cooling fan with the appropriate fang syle duct and a BB 24V fan. Eveyrthing was working as intended until yesterday I noticed my part cooling fan wasn't working. Parked the head to check the wiring and it came on. Starting running M106 from various point on the bed and realized the fan is quitting anywhere past 120mm on the Y axis... I assume there's a short caused by the wiring and started hunting but can't find a thing. Doesn't care about X or Z in any direction. I've reflashed firmware, checked and rechecked settings in Marlin, all slicers, and repetier.

Doubt anyone has has seen this peculiar happening, but if you have any ideas please let me know!!

Thanks,
Oldsjunkie
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Part cooling fan tied to Y?

Post by Roberts_Clif »

To keep your 3D Printer printing it is somewhat faster to replace the fan wire everything.

Then trouble shoot while the fan is off the 3D Printer and easily accessible.
This is why some of us have at least one spare of all consumable parts.

Fans, Thermisters, Bearings, Couplers, Hotend Heaters, nozzles and Throats ect.....
I find that is it sometimes cheaper to buy in Lots, I purchased 10 - 3010s DuPont Brushless Cooling Fans for the Price of two.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I agree with Robert.
My FT5 had a strange problem when it wouldn't print on the front part of the bed, I finally replaced all the wires to the hot-end and everything is fine. It turned out to be a faulty wire, it would work sometimes but not others.
I also keep fans etc spare just in case.
Oldsjunkie
Reactions:

Post by Oldsjunkie »

Hey folks, thanks for the replies and advice. After lots of continuity testing it ended up being the wire to the cooling fan breaking inside the insulation at the apex of the chain flex. Went ahead and replaced it with some quality silicon wire. Really loving the FT-5 and being part of the community!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

@Oldjunkie

We are here to help you with any 3D Printer problem.

You do not have to come with your problems though, You can post your Prints "Show off your Latest Print" OR "General 3D Printing Conversation".

You can Post your own latest designs and can even share your designs with the forum.

Example

New Case Layout.jpg

I Posted this design for the Hictop Controller board.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

So far my stock silicone wire has been holding up!
Oldsjunkie
Reactions:

Post by Oldsjunkie »

What I've learned is that trying to put a 20/2 individually insulated part fan wire in the already tight drag chain wasn't helping the friction situation inside the nylon sleeve. I did away with the drag chain and ran the next size up nylon sleeve and 20/7 PVC sleeved, stranded copper to run everything and let it loop a little wider after the Extruder motor started acting up at near the same Y position. Thanks Roberts_Clif, When I get this PETG down nice and slick I'll post up some of my parts. The printer and I are working together and learning a lot. Starting to get some nice results! :)

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”