Progress on the FolgerTech i3 Mega!

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Progress on the FolgerTech i3 Mega!

Post by LePaul »

There are so many areas about this printer that could be so much better

Then I am reminded that it is a $399 first printer kit and that is it's market.

But being me, I see areas that could be improved without too much effort and an even better customer experience.

The couplers and motors mounted high, causing the gantry to be hanging there top my list of "Hmmm?" The slotted couplers had to go, acting more like springs than anything else. I didn't notice how much so until I watched the ABL sensor try to make sense of it all :)

The lack of a power switch was honestly just a head slap....why?? So I added one. And an aluminum plate to mount it on

Granted the E3D Titan Aero is probably gross overkill...but i wanted a reliable direct drive hot end. Not China's cheapest we can muster

I really wish there was a nice way to enclose the masses of wires around the MKS board.

The stock direct drive hot end stuck out a lot further out (close to 40mm more) so using the Aero, I lost some Y axis I made up some if it relocated the Y limit switch as far as I could inside the frame. My initial idea of moving the switch outside didn't gain me much distance back.

The EZABL Pro mini is a nice probe and seems extremely accurate. The enhanced control board it plugs into is really impressive. Many things you would have to re-wire for are compensated with a toggle switch. That's nice!

Some pics...
full.jpg
switch.jpg
y limit.jpg
ezabl.jpg
couplers.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Progress on the FolgerTech i3 Mega!

Post by LePaul »

Check the video!

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”