Folgertech FT-5

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
Samurai
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): The Beast

Folgertech FT-5

Post by Samurai »

I am amazed that Paul hasn't posted about this one yet. Someof us are getting these printers as, for the price, I don't think they can be beat outside of sourcing your own parts. 300 x300 mm build area for $499 base price, $50 coupon available as of now.

Folgertech FT-5

LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Folgertech FT-5

Post by LePaul »

Yes!

I have been reading a lot about it and it seems to do a very good job, especially if you upgrade to the BL Touch sensor, E3Dv6 nozzle and Titan Extruder. I just have to try it out for the price (plus our discount). I know Ben just ordered his, I hope to do this same tomorrow
Samurai
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): The Beast

Post by Samurai »

Mine was order right after Ben... $449 plus upgrades for that size?!? I just couldn't pass on it. I had been specing out a custom build and it was going to cost over that.

Musts:
BLTouch is going to be ordered here soon.
I am going to order metal brackets here as well.

Next:
Titan... I might wait and see how the stock one works, don't know. I will upgrade to the Titan at some point, unless they come out with a newer one.
Probably will get the 713 gantry and hotend carriage upgrade at some point too.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I was hoping Ultimaker might offer something in the 12 x 12 x 12+ range but I haven't heard of anything asides the Ultimaker 3

The only printers that can do this size are the Raise3D N2 Plus ($3299) and the gCreate gMax 1.5XT ($2995) The Raise3D has a full enclosure but no part cooling fan control from what I can see. It doesn't auto calibrate as you would expect for something with that sort of price. The gCreate seems to edge the Raise out from all the reading i have done on it.

But those prices are 7 times more than the FT-5. After you spend $150 or so for E3d items and BL touch, you have a very impressive printer.
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

Great a place to post my beast :)

I made and extended version of the FT5, with 40X30X55cm build space, for a special project.
I am still waiting for my Keenovo heated bed, and Vulcano extruder, and will change to 24V system.

The build was more easy then I expected, I chose to use metal brackets for more rigidity of the frame, and took out the middle front bar, it was just in the way of the build plate,
it is a great printer to expand and tinker with.

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm ordering mine today

My only concerns are the wiring....and the calibration. Any tips you can offer?
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Electronics is also not my strongest thing,
but I just blindly followed the wiring diagram on the site.
http://folgerforum.com/uploads/default/ ... ddf5c9.jpg
the biggest problem is not making good connection with the wires on the board, that could result in a sparks and melting parts.

Construction wise, is to get the frame as square as possible and the sliders for the axis correctly adjusted.
tighten one y-slider, move the axis to one end, tighten the opposite side, and redo for the other end.
with the z-bed it is important to lower it to the bottom, tighten one side, the the other side, move it to the top and repeat.

and test the movement before attaching the belts, all axis should move very easy by hand.

I really recommend using alu brackets to build the frame, it makes it so much sturdier, the melanine will always be a little flexible.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Samurai and I have purchased some of the upgraded aluminum parts from 713

I went with the Frame Brackets, Ultralight Extruder mount (made for the E3D series) and Upper Plates

What part cooling fan shroud and fan are you using? I don't want to wind up with fans that are WAY too powerful again :)
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

I also wanted the 713 parts, but they were behind on a long list :)

For a fan shroud it depends what kind of hotend you will be using using,
I made one for the stock hotend, so I could do some test prints while waiting for the E3D vulcano set:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2086650

I now have received my E3D set, and am working on a new fan shroud, the ones on Thingiverse look like they have too small exit holes, or with just 1 fan attached.
Walter from the FT5 forum made a nice one:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1972011
But from experience, with my Ultimaker, I think I need 2 fans for the thicker layers I will be printing, so I will convert this design in a double setup:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1741653
it will be the same but have a fan shroud on both sides.

With fans being too powerful, I usually adjust the percentage in the slicer,
or you might consider making a separate fan controller, to control during printing.

Something I want to add, is a filament sensor, with making huge prints you might run into an empty spool sooner, and having a sensor that pauses the print would be a nice touch.
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Got the Titan extruder and the Vulcano nozzle done, and happy to be able to use all my 2.85 rolls.

I must say the online tutorials are not really clear, I got trouble as the grub screw that clamps the toothed sprocket on the stepper axle was sticking out too much, and I had to file it down half way to get it to work, and had to add about 2mm between the titan and the stepper to get the toothed sprockets to sit flush with each other.
It could be, using the FT5 standard stepper is maybe not often done, and the E3D stepper is different.

After some test prints I found that too much fan air causes thermal runaway, this is something I will have to account for when designing the fan holders, and is a nice safety feature.
I am now testing a large print with some ABS (I hate that stuff) I still had a full roll that I never used, it sputters a bit after months of moisture collecting :)

After fiddling with the print head, the melanine parts are showing signs deformation, the printhead is sitting very slightly angled, I can see it with flat surfaces, it leaves small marks.
and the 713 parts will probably be the next on my wish list, or make it myself.

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well we are watching your posts closely , I know Samurai ordered his printer a few days before me...as did Benjamin (not sure he's in the forum)

Do you think it's worthwhile to get the e3d stepper?

So you're using 2.85?

One guy that posts a lot in the FolgerTech 3D Facebook group is Anthony Quayle, he seems to have his machine dialed in extremely well! He's given me some good tips on cooling fans for the hot end part cooler (http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=G ... 0FN%20SX04)
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

I read that the E3D stepper has less torque, and is mostly used to minimize weight the of the print head.
the standard stepper does work without problem, and I did not want to add unnecessary cost.

I also have an Ultimaker, that runs 2.85mm, and I have a lot of rolls, so it is just convenience to have one size fits all :)

I forgot to mention that I also converted to 24V, with new power-supply and fans, ordered it from the E3D site, and all the connections are all the same,
This does it make a bit more difficult to find silent fans, but the E3D fan on the hotend, although small, makes a lot of noise.

the 24V will lessen the amps through the wires, and less chance of melting and sparks :)
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

I started my own Alu extruder mount, it needs some minor adjustments,
I first stared with making a copy of the FT5 parts, but realized that it is not necessary, it can be much simpler because it's aluminum.

When it fits good I will drill it full of holes to make it as light as possible :)

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I was lazy and ordered the Ultalight from 713
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Are you running a stepper or a pancake on the extruder?

I'm planning to go with a pancake since I bought the ultra light extruder and he indicated for that and the E3Dv6, the pancake is the way to go (optimizing weight savings)

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”