Paul's FT-5 Build

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Paul's FT-5 Build

Post by LePaul »

Xeno wrote:Here is my setup now, I just installed the Aero and still am deciding how the fan duct should look :)

Checking out the corner pieces you used...interesting

And you have the rail flipped forward instead of vertical?
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

The corner pieces are extra support because I made my FT5 larger, I wanted to minimize frame movement.
flipping the rail forward is the best method to loose any wobble, I loose a little bit of Y-size but it is worth it.
and more easy, I would have to shorten the rail to fit underneath.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I chatted with 713Maker and he's very helpful! He's going to look at the PDF I sent him for the Drylin slider and can re-make the pieces to fit the different hole spacing.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

The biggest obstacle on this build...as mentioned...and complained about before...the instructions.

Most normal instructions are well detailed and show you what the result of each process should be. This kit does not have that. You are constantly searching for what the result should be. And it's not to be found in the instructions...you have to search Google/FolgerTech...it's really just insanely poor documentation. What an incredible shortcoming to what should be a pretty impressive printer build.

Anyways....

Here's where I am now...now on to wiring!
ft5-bed.jpg
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Looking nice :)
most have just flipped the heated bed around, less wiring, and no problem it dropping on the Z-stage belts
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Xeno wrote:Looking nice :)
most have just flipped the heated bed around, less wiring, and no problem it dropping on the Z-stage belts
That's a good idea...or print some belt covers
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Exactly, he has some really interesting designs. I am contemplating his replacement to the bearings on the X and Y axis. But for now, I want to see how the printer performs with the stock ones.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Are you printing on Borosilicate Glass or something else? I notice many seem to use glass tile, since it is very flat

I bought the Borosilicate Glass Print Surface with my kit.
Xeno
Reactions:

Post by Xeno »

Yeah, I also use a 4mm Borosilicate Glass plate, it's very flat and great to print on with some 3dLac.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

So not too much to add to my build status...lot's of wiring!
wiring.JPG
A few notes on that progress pic...

* Again I curse the instructions for making some steps harder than they need to be and some steps just really need that one last step, to affirm you are doing something right!

* I used the provided silicone wiring harness to extended the pancake, aero fan, thermisistor, hot end and so on to the rear. I added a 2 wire length for a future part cooling fan. I really wanted to use the Igus chain flex but given I would need additional connectors (Dupont style it seems) already on the harness, why not. I figure if the ehternet guys are fairing ok with their wiring, the silicone should do good too.

* I purchased a MOSFET and installed that on the top piece of electrons box, using some 1/4" plastic stand offs I bought at Lowe's. There was conflicting information on the Fugatech video about if this would work on the shipped aluminum bed. He uses a silicone bed and what came with his kit a year ago is different than what I received in March (and to date).

* I ran out of silicone wire and purchased some more. Also, since I am plugging many wires into screw down connections, I thought back to the Duet Wifi documentation I have been reading. They advised using Bootlace Ferrule connectors on the wire, then inserted into the board connections. I read a bit about those and think it's a great idea. I sourced a crimper and 800 connectors on eBay for under $30

* One of the builders posted some before and after print pictures of without direct stepper driver cooling and with. It's an impressive image and showed great gains in details if the drivers have a steady cooling airflow on them. Following his lead, I have purchased a 120 mm case fan. I'll cut a large hole in the electronics rear door for it. That'll be a lot of airflow in there!

* A few mysteries I need to resolve are the esteps for the pancake motor/Aero/Titan combination, the PID tuning and a good part cooling fan solution.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

A bit more progress...

* Corrected pancake motor wiring, an alert fellow builder caught that!

* Made use of the bootlace ferrule connectors and crimper for the 14 awg wire. I found I had to trim the connector a bit to not stick out of the screw down connectors

* Got the JST connector on the thermosistor, so that's now plugged in.

* With the instructions being so poor, I am back pedaling a lot, seeing what I have missed. There doesn't seem to be steps that show what cable to use to plug the X motor in. We used the including wiring harness and connectors, but the connector won't stay in place on the other end....rather frustrating.

* Using a 4.5 inch hole saw, cut out a hole in the back panel cover for the 120 mm fan. The electronics will sure get a lot of air, being about 2 inches from the fan itself! But if a stepper overheats...it's by God's will !

* Still need to connect up the Z motors. I am starting to wonder if I have all the connectors I will need!

A few pics...
19905383_10155293410850169_4983135320772535272_n.jpg
19905088_10155293410800169_3180379179510586158_n.jpg
19894622_10155293410875169_29730068470915951_n.jpg
19875522_10155293410845169_5110603685676406891_n.jpg
19875351_10155293410825169_106500333218267106_n.jpg
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

You still don't have that thing built yet? Slacker. :P
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Slow work indeed!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

The Ultimaker 2+ has been busy printing pieces for the FT-5! These grill pieces for each side of the 120mm case fan
IMG_7828.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”