Pancake? Stepper? Or go Bowden setup?

Discussion of the Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printer Kits, such as the FT-5, FT-i3 Mega, FT-6 and others
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Pancake? Stepper? Or go Bowden setup?

Post by LePaul »

I bought this pancake motor for my E3D Aero/Titan setup...

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybri ... HS08-1004S

I will have to search the FolgerTech Facebook group for settings and voltage since this was a model many suggested.

But i see some have opted to go back to a stepper motor, citing higher voltages with the pancake. One user reported it friend his board. Eeek!

And part of me thinks the Bowden setup works so well for Ultimaker's and the Creality CR-10 why not do so here?

Thoughts?
bwaslo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Folgertech FT-5

Re: Pancake? Stepper? Or go Bowden setup?

Post by bwaslo »

The guy with the fried driver (not his MKS board!) has a different stepper -- he got the black one from E3D, and I still suspect there is something bad wrong with the one he got.

I'm not using the one you have, I got this one --
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybri ... 0704s.html
and couldn't be happier (after I consulted its wiring diagram and changed for it, that is -- its connector is the same type but is wired differently!). But I suspect the motor you have will work fine. The pancake I got has more than enough torque with a Titan to grind on filament if the heatbreak gets blocked, and there is zero need for any more torque - ever.

(If you're not using a geared down extruder, though, you probably do need a bigger stepper than the pancake).
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Good point, @bwaslo !

I need to find the proper voltage for my pancake

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/hybri ... HS08-1004S
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Isn't just the voltage that the motor can use, but how much it heats under use at that V. There's a point where it will shorten its life span (because is a giant magnet inside) and because the heat can be really really high.

You should get a infrared heat sensor and test for 10-20-30mins to 1h how high the temp it goes. Then you need to see if that V gives enough torque also, and then if your pancake doesn't work you will need to add a geared solution and/or add fan to the extruder motor.

For 1.75mm that motor should be ok without gears, but for 2.85mm no way.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Interesting points I wonder if Bob did that for his pancake motor
Xeno
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker original enlarged

Post by Xeno »

I could not get it to work properly (2.85mm), it kept slipping on the first layer, and was just too weak to handle large filament volumes when using the Vulcano nozzle.
I went back to the normal Nema17 motor, and it works great :)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm using 1.75 mm so it should work alright, a friend has an identical setup as mine printing test cubes now

I was tempted to go 2.85 to match the Ultimaker, but since I have the Creality CR-10 now, I now have two 1.75 mm printers :)
bwaslo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Folgertech FT-5

Post by bwaslo »

How do you like the CR-10 compared to the FT-5? Got a friend wanting a large-platform printer, but not wanting a printer-maintenance hobby. Seems the CR-10 might be a good one for him.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well I'm still assembling the FT-5. Slow pace here. The X motor wire leads are snapping into the connector, a bit frustrating.

The CR-10 is what I would call clever...it's using a clever design that's pretty solid, an all around decent print head and a very tweakable setup. There's a lot of mods and some great ideas. I bought the dual Z upgrade for $50 and will install it soon.

I'd really like to install an Ultimaker 2+ print head/Olsson block on it. The UM2+ print head and Olsson Block is a fantastic setup for many filament types. But that's a task for another day.

I'm not crazy about the four point leveling and there's an auto-level kit available. Again, lots of development on this little thing

What I like best is it takes 15 minutes to put together and get printing. An FT-5 is quite a project!
naxieshiiou
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Z-603S

Post by naxieshiiou »

Return to “Folger Tech Large Scale 3D Printers”