[SOLVED] CR10S Marlin Firmware - arvdude vs bossac?

Creality brand 3D Printers!
PNWMaker
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Creality CR10 S (Dual Z)

[SOLVED] CR10S Marlin Firmware - arvdude vs bossac?

Post by PNWMaker »

Update....

After a little more googling it seems as though avrdude is what's required. From: https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint- ... stallation

AVRDUDE needs to be installed on the server where OctoPrint is running.
Raspberry Pi

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install avrdude

We'll see how that goes...

-------------------------------------
I'm trying to update/upgrade my CR10S to Marlin using the Firmware Updater function in Cura.

After selecting the updated firmware file in Cura, you're supposed to set the "Flash Method". There are two choices:

1) arvdude (Atmel AVR family)

2) bossac (Atmel SAM family)

In some other online guide about updating firmware, there is this note:

"For 8-bit MCUs the tools is avrdude, for 32-bit MCUs the tool is bossac."

I'm guessing the CR10S has an 8-bit processor rather than 32-bit, but I have no idea. Does anyone here know?

And while I'm on the topic, is there an easier way to update the CR10S firmware? What's the simplest way?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: [SOLVED] CR10S Marlin Firmware - arvdude vs bossac?

Post by LePaul »

I've only updated firmware using Cura with Ultimaker Printers. Very interesting!
PNWMaker
Reactions:

Post by PNWMaker »

I updated to Marlin 1.19 and it malfunctioned right from the get-go.

Trying to do an auto-home from the printer control box, Marlin will drive the gantry down a little bit, then it stops and throws an error both in Octoprint and on the Creality display. I have to restart the printer to clear the error.

I couldn't get past this no matter what I did, so I flashed the stock Creality FW that has the thermal protection enabled, and it seems okay now.

Anyone see anything similar when changing to Marlin? I thought it was supposed to be better than the stock Creality FW. (??)
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Have been told that Marlin 1.1.9 has a few quirks You should have use Marlin 1.1.9 bugfix.
I had installed Marlin 1.1.9 bugfix and used if for a while then updated to marlin 2.0.0 for a couple months now. have not experienced any problems.

Do a M503 on your current firmware Copy paste returned information to a text file,
Upload to a google drive and supply a link along with your Marlin 1.1.9 configuration.h file. Will look and see if the configuration look good...
PNWMaker
Reactions:

Post by PNWMaker »

Roberts_Clif wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:40 pm Have been told that Marlin 1.1.9 has a few quirks You should have use Marlin 1.1.9 bugfix.
I had installed Marlin 1.1.9 bugfix and used if for a while then updated to marlin 2.0.0 for a couple months now. have not experienced any problems.
On this page: http://marlinfw.org/meta/download/

I see "bugfix-1.1.x.zip", and the note says:

1.1.x "bugfix" snapshot
Patches after 1.1.9

Is this the one I want? I'm looking for the .hex file, I don't think I know how to compile it from source.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Or you could use the TH3D Unified Firmware
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have always helped 3D Printer Users to get to the best updated version of the Marlin that they want to there 3D Printer.

This is a step you have already made yourself, we can show you the changes that need to be made.
We can teach you how to correctly setup the Arduino Software (IDE) compiler, what version of the Arduino Software (IDE) that is needed.
Can teach you how to configure the configuration files, help you to get the configuration,h and configuration_adv,h files correctly compiled.

Though ultimately when it come to the point of actually uploading a compiled version or a hex file of any firmware,
you will be the one that makes this decision, to press the upload button and unload this firmware file to your controller.
We are only here to help you make sure that when you do press the upload button that everything is correctly configured.

With any firmware update I always ask everyone if they have a copy of there firmware before proceeding,
this way they could return to the original firmware without any regrets.

Hictop
https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news ... d-leveling
https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news ... wer-resume
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Good advice...I have many versions of firmware for a certain printer...and wondering...which is which now if I want to upgrade again :)
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I too have many versions of Marlin firmware all 1.1.x and 2.0.x, I learned over the years to label all version differently.
Today Marlin takes up 2.28 GB (2,457,902,518 bytes)
So I save to a different folder before modifying with the special name.
Example
Folders names
Marlin 1.1.9
-sub folders Names
-Marlin = unmodified firmware
-Marlin-Blu = for Hictop 3DP12
-Marlin-Red-MKS13 = For Hictop 3DP11 - MKS version Controller Dual Extrude
-Marlin-1.1.9-Busby = Busby's Firmware I made for Busby

Folders names
Marlin 2.0.0
-sub folders Names
-Marlin-Blu
-Marlin-Red
-Marlin-MKS
-sub folders Names
--Marlin-MKS-EFBE = Dual Extruder Dual Nozzle
--Marlin-MKS-EFBE-SN = Dual Extruder Single Nozzle
--Marlin-MKS-EFBF = Dual Fan
PNWMaker
Reactions:

Post by PNWMaker »

Do you prefer or recommend the TH3D Unified Firmware?

Can you tell me what differentiates it from Marlin or the stock Creality firmware?

LePaul wrote: March 26th, 2019, 9:03 am Or you could use the TH3D Unified Firmware
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Tim at TH3D has tweaked the various settings for the model printers he supports (check the list...the popular China printers and more)
Things like acceleration, jerk and other things...he's tweaked, saving you a lot of hassle.
PNWMaker
Reactions:

Post by PNWMaker »

Thanks for this- it looks good and I'd like to give it a try. I looked on the site there but couldn't find a .hex file to flash the printer with. Is there one there I just didn't see or do I have to compile it from source?

LePaul wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:55 pm Tim at TH3D has tweaked the various settings for the model printers he supports (check the list...the popular China printers and more)
Things like acceleration, jerk and other things...he's tweaked, saving you a lot of hassle.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Not sure that you will find a .hex file. The full package is here and includes the source, the Arduino IDE, STLs for mounting their EZABL leveling kit, instructions, etc. If you just want the firmware, it is here. Again, not a .hex file.

Note that I have not downloaded either, so I don't know the full contents. But it looks fairly straight-forward.
PNWMaker
Reactions:

Post by PNWMaker »

Thank you...

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with the source. What do I need to do to compile it to .hex format so I can flash the printer?

GrueMaster wrote: March 30th, 2019, 10:23 am Not sure that you will find a .hex file. The full package is here and includes the source, the Arduino IDE, STLs for mounting their EZABL leveling kit, instructions, etc. If you just want the firmware, it is here. Again, not a .hex file.

Note that I have not downloaded either, so I don't know the full contents. But it looks fairly straight-forward.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I think you're being overwhelmed.

The INO extension file is what is opened. If you use his batch file, "OpenFirmwareWindows" it will open for you. If you have Arduino installed, you can download the firmware only zip and open that up. It's called TH3DUF.ino and a double-click will open it up

You'll see in large bold text what tab to select to edit and the directions from there on in.

The advantage of the batch file is that he has already selected the board info for you

Make sense?

Return to “Creality Large Scale 3D Printers”