Decent prints at last!

Creality CR-10 series 3D printers
Post Reply
GrueMaster
Reactions:
Posts: 323
Joined: March 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm
Location: Oregon
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Decent prints at last!

Post by GrueMaster » September 24th, 2017, 11:42 am

I'm getting decent prints now from my CR-10S. Still have an issue with bed adhesion, but I am starting to think this is environmental, not printer related. Works great as long as I use a glue stick on my mirror surface.

Currently printing parts for my 3DP-17, to bring it up to snuff. I'm printing a housing for the display to mount it on the front of the printer instead of the top (like the original Prusia). The 3DP-17 is doing some bed leveling test prints to get it back to perfect. Modified the .2mm squares to fit this bed, level is horrid so far. Could be the filament as well.

Soon I will have both working merrily through individual optopi controllers, so I can kick back and watch the Seahawks while they print.

GrueMaster
Reactions:
Posts: 323
Joined: March 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm
Location: Oregon
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Decent prints at last!

Post by GrueMaster » October 4th, 2017, 12:23 am

So, I bit the bullet and let it run for 28 hours printing this. Here is the result:
Dice Tower.jpg
I put a quarter on the bed for scale.

This particular build has some issues. First, the gate is notorious for not working (mine is fused to the body - need a heated blade to clean it). The real issues though are the rails on either side of the gate, plus the grating behind and to the right of the support. After taking the tower off the bed (stuck quite well when using a glue stick), both posts broke along with the slats under the rails. The grating looks like it was attacked by acid. Have to load the model in blender to see if it was designed that way, but I doubt it. It almost looks like it had layering issues, but that isn't reflected on the body of the print anywhere, even in the window overhangs or while printing the stairs.

Then, at 94%, the filament sensor failed, haling the printer. The printer was completely cooled down before I discovered it and hit continue (there was no real out of filament issue). I panicked when the printer finished heating up and then homed on X/Y axis before returning to the last coordinates (section of infill, fortunately). The only blemish was a small loop of filament on the outside of the tower, above the center shield and below the turret (can't see it in this photo). Easily lopped off with the small wire cutters that came with the printer.

I can fix the rails (plan to cut them out completely, then print new ones with wood filament and glue them in place).

The filament is Amolen Marble PLA (see my post in the Filaments area). Looks really nice. I don't plan on doing any major finish work, just painting the shields and fixing the rails as mentioned. The rest of the tower looks awesome in marble.

Post Reply

Return to “Creality CR-10 Large Scale 3D Printer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest