Failed prints. Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Form 2, Form 3 , Elegoo Mars, ANYBUBIC Photon and much more....with the prices coming down, many 3D printers employing this technology are available to the masses!
spindlecraft
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Photon S

Failed prints. Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Post by spindlecraft »

So - please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am a beginner, and am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong here.

I have a Photo S 3D printer from Anycubic. I followed several tutorials on youtube on how to properly level the printer, which I am confident I did correctly. I had 2 or 3 successful prints with some really small parts.

However, I have been attempting to print this model:
https://www.stlfinder.com/model/cute-do ... r/1045249/

After 2 attempts, it seems that it is failing at roughly the same point. It gets to just above the top of the paws, and then stops.

At this point, I'm unsure of a couple of things.

1.) I have been attempting to print the model as-is, without any supports. Being that it has a flat bottom, I (perhaps naively) assumed that supports wouldn't be needed. I attempted to add auto-supports, but, I don't know. I feel like having a bunch of little rods at the bottom of the model creates a less stable "suction" than the flat bottom would. Thoughts?

2.) Could it be that since it's a solid model, it is too "heavy", which is causing it to fall into the vat?

3.) Do you think this is still a result of improper leveling?

4.) Could it be an issue with the FEP film in the vat? I noticed that after 2 or 3 uses, it has become slightly foggy and has very miniscule scratches in it from wiping it down.

I am well aware that print failures can occur for any number of reasons, so, this might be a bit like asking a mechanic why my car wont start. I am happy to answer any follow-up questions, and even provide any pictures or videos that might prove useful to helping debug the issue.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Failed prints. Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
I know how frustrating it can be trying to print and it fails.
Looking at the part I don't think it needs supports, how big is it, have you tried reducing the size?
Have you tried printing other parts?
When you say the print "stops" what do you mean, does the printer stop working or does the printed part fail in some way. A photo would help.
If I was printing this I would hollow it out and put drain holes in, you need to look up how to do this, it's not complicated.
As for the FEP film, mine has a lot of small scratches and a bit foggy, but I've done possible a 100 prints and touch wood it still works.
As long as there are no holes or bad marks in it you should be OK.
I assume the printing must be set up correctly as it is starting to print.
Also could you let me know the setting you are using and material/colour.

Lez
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Failed prints. Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Post by Lez0 »

Just remembered something. The memory stick that came with the printer, are you using this, if so throw it away and use a good quality one. I've heard they aren't good quality.

Return to “Resin 3D Printers”