Resin Printing Questions About Curing/Washing.

Form 2, Form 3 , Elegoo Mars, ANYBUBIC Photon and much more....with the prices coming down, many 3D printers employing this technology are available to the masses!
IcedStorm777
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa I3 MK3S, Ender 5 Plus (Heavily Modded), Mars

Resin Printing Questions About Curing/Washing.

Post by IcedStorm777 »

So I am getting a resin printer (an old elegoo mars) and have plans to start diving deeper into the realm of resin printing. That being said I don't want to buy a curing station but want to build my own. I have an idea that I am hoping will work but have a few questions about.

Ok so as I understand it there are two parts of the post processing that are important. The cleaning of the print, and the curing. My question is about combining them. Would this work as an effective curing and washing station.

I would have a turntable inside of a box. The turntable would have a large glass mason jar attached to it with water inside. When a print was ready to be post processed, I would put the print in the water where it would turn for, say five minutes cleaning the excess resin off the print. The process could also be done with IPA or Acetone depending on results and what y'all think would work. The turntable would be rotating fairly slowly. After five minutes, a timer would click on and a strip of LED's would turn on on the inside of the box. The whole inside of the box would also be filled with aluminum foil to hopefully distribute the light better. The turntable would continue turning with the print in the water in the turntable. I have heard that water curing is VERY effective and just figured that I could combine both processes. Do y'all have any idea of this would work? I have seen both these processes done separately but never before so just wanted to make sure it would work before I embark on it. Thanks!
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Resin Printing Questions About Curing/Washing.

Post by Lez0 »

Hi IcedStorm777
Welcome
When a print comes off the resin printer it needs to be cleaned. The best way to do this is to put it in IPA and brush off the excess liquid resin, this is important for all the little grooves and holes.
I have never used an ultransonic cleaner so I can't comment, except if you do DO NOT use IPA as it is dangerous. You can read about it in various places.
The better you clean the print before curing the better the quality. Doing this by hand ensues you clean the impotent areas.
For curing I just leave it out in the sun, even on a cloudy day it still cures.
If you do want to make a cure box make sure you buy the correct LED's, I believe they need to be UV, best check.
Also I would recommend reading some safety instruction about 3D printing as you are dealing with chemical so you need gloves etc.
I would recommend you take things one step at a time to understand the processes before anything advanced.
Good luck

Lez
IcedStorm777
Reactions:

Post by IcedStorm777 »

Lez,

Awesome, thanks so much for the answer. I have a couple follow up question if you don't mind. Number one, what percent IPA do you recommend, do you just dip it in IPA a few times or does it have to soak their for a while?

Do you have to use new and clean IPA every time or can you use the same stuff for a few different prints? Thanks so much!

This are the lights I am planning on using as they are 405nm, waterproof, and inexpensive.

Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I use IPA that's 99.9%. I have 2 plastic containers with lids. The first one I drop the parts in and move around for a couple of minutes. I then pull off the supports, if they can be pulled off easily. I then drop the parts in the second container and the I give them a good brush with an old toothbrush.
When the first container gets cloudy I tip it out into a glass jar and seal it. I leave to settle for a few days so the bigger particles can settle to the bottom. I then up it out in the sunlight for a day. It get strained back into the first container. With the second container get a bit cloudy it goes into the first container. I recycle the IPA. Once you get organised it takes no time. All of this sits on a plastic tray to keep the area clean.
Did you add a picture of the lights as I can't see anything.
IcedStorm777
Reactions:

Post by IcedStorm777 »

Awesome, thanks so much!! I was trying to send a link but for some reason it won't let me. It is just a 405nm LED strip for curing.

Return to “Resin 3D Printers”