Alright Resin Gurus...top tips for beginners?

Form 2, Form 3 , Elegoo Mars, ANYBUBIC Photon and much more....with the prices coming down, many 3D printers employing this technology are available to the masses!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Alright Resin Gurus...top tips for beginners?

Post by LePaul »

Please share.... things you have learned?
Best printers? Best accessories? Dealing/storing leftover resin from prints?
Post processing?
Support removal?
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Alright Resin Gurus...top tips for beginners?

Post by Lez0 »

I wouldn't say I'm a Guru, but I've been using a resin printer for over a year and dome hundreds of prints.
First you have to remember this is a different technique to FDM.
Setting up the printer
Get the top plattern level and Home set. Do not put too much resin in the tray, there is usually a mark for max.
Software: I use Prusa Slicer for orientation and putting the supports. It can orientate the part for optimum angle and automatically put on supports, you may need to add a few more.
On the support side you will get marks from the supports, you have to live with this.
For slicing I use Chitubox, you can have as many material setting as you need. I always slice at 0.05mm, I have just never bothered to change it as I get great prints.
As you may guess there are many Youtube videos out there.
Hardware
My Printer is a Anycubic Photon, not the "S". I understand more people like the original over the "S" model. I had a problem a few week ago that turned out to be a loose USB connection. I found the solution easily and a video on how to get the printer apart to fix it.
I replaced the FEP after it had a small hole in it. It had been used for almost a year and was in a bad state, but it still produced good prints until I had to change it, so it doesn't have to be perfectly clear to work OK, I also bough a couple of spares for different materials.
I like Elegoo ABS like resin. Siraya Tech do a BLU Blue that's very strong, it does cost a bit more.
Other things you need.
I have a plastic tray to hold the cleaning container, I have 2, 1 for first wash to get the thick off and the second to finish off the prints. I usually take off the supports after the first wash, they usually break off easily enough. It's best to take off the supports before you cure them, in the sun or using a UV light as the prints and harder after curing and the supports are harder to get off.
If I have difficult supports to get off I use a sharp knife to cut them.
Alcohol for cleaning, use 99%. When the first container gets cloudy I pore the liquid into a glass jar, let it settle for a few days them put it in the sun. After this you can filter the liquid back into the container, it should be almost clear. This way I don't have to worry about disposal of the alcohol. The residue is left to dry them disposed of in the bin as it's just plastic.
I have a sharp metal spatula, with rounded corners to get the prints off the top pattern, it hasn't made any marks after a lot of use.
You may need to hollow out prints or add drain holes so you don't create a vacuum.
Resin printers don't like to print large areas that's why some print are turn through 45°.
You don't always need to add supports, your FDM experience comes in handy here.

Sorry for the long message. I am sure there will be areas I have missed. but this will give you a good start.
Once you get a few prints done and used to the process it becomes easy to do.
Final note, Safety. You are using liquids that can cause health problem if not use correctly. Also use gloves and glasses and place the printer in a well ventilated area.
Keep your printing clean and have plenty of paper towel available for any spill etc.

I am sure there will be questions, I'll do my beat to answer them.

Lez
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I would much like to learn though know little about resin printers.

Though am a member of 5 other 3D Printer forums an if you need help message or post me, I can re-post to them an get help for you.
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

Video on setting up and using the Anycubic Photon. Sorry it's in Spanish.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm curious about the after print process

It has been emphasized in countless videos how nasty this material can be to work worth.

Do you filter the unused resin back into the bottle?

Is the water rinse resin any good? Or stick to regular? Pros? Cons?
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

I used Anycubic resin to start with and it gave off a smell, I changed to Elegoo and this doesn't smell very much.
I am careful with the resin, making sure not to drip it, and always clean up any drip straight away. I wear gloves all the time, although they only get wet from the Alcohol.
I was worried about using such materials, but after using them I got used to them and have no problem with them.
The printer is in the garage so it's well ventilated, others use extractor fans and tubes to get the smells away.
I very rarely put the resin back into the bottle, it just stays in the tray with a cover. If I do I use a filter just in case.
I haven't used the water rinse resin so I can't comment.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I appreciate you taking my / our questions!

I was always impressed with the FormLabs 3D printers and while they do cost a lot more, they certainly offer a complete solution (printer, resins, cleaning station, UV/curing , etc)

I know that many people put their prints out in the sun. However for those of us in the snowy winter, it would seem a UV curing station would be a better investment?

Since I have 3 cats, I figured I would utilize my abundance of cat liter for disposal of any resins or cleaning solutions that need to be disposed of. Would that be appropriate?
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

For any old resin I just cure it before I throw it out so it's not hazardous.
I live in Spain and came from England so I REALLY enjoy the almost all sun.
Yes the people not as lucky as me would need a cure station.
My resin printing area.
Attachments
2021-02-10 11.07.37.jpg

Return to “Resin 3D Printers”