Titanium

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Titanium

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Hi all, and thanks to Anders for the invite to the new forum.
I also try to create new versions of nozzles with high resistance to impact. In my case, they are made of titanium alloy. If not all available volunteers, who printing with exotic filaments, are already busy by testing the new ruby nozzle, I'd be happy to send the nozzles to test. A fresh set of photos below:
Attachments
20160211_232203.jpg
20160211_232031.jpg
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Titanium

Post by Neotko »

Do you have planned any tungsten disulphide ws2 coating for the nozzles? That should help to have less friction and avoid the slower heat dispersion of the titanium. I did some tests with hotbarrels and got a company in uk that can do coatings quite cheap (around 70€ for each bath, that should cover around 20-30 nozzles probably).
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Welcome, Ivan!
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Nice, do you have some rough number of the thermal conductivity of that titanium alloy?

As I said in the email, we have been discussing medical applications previously where titanium would be preferable.

The possibility of coating these with harder or more slippery materials is also interesting.
Some of those really hard coatings used for machining tools are titanium based, which makes it likely a titanium based coating will stick well.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

2 neotko By the way, Yes, I like the idea of electroplating with tungsten, considering its thermal conductivity in the area of 0,31 at 20 degrees Celsius. In the city there is a shop, they work with chromium, nickel and cadmium ,but I'm not sure about the tungsten . On Monday I'll know for sure.

2 LePaul Thanks!

2 Anders approximate analogue of these alloy in German classification, it DIN,WNr 3.7034 or DIN,WNr Ti2. Becose of this thermal conductivity is equal 18.85 at 20 degrees Celsius. In any case we need a heater with a capacity of 35 watts or more, and new delay setting in the UM2 firmware for guaranteed to heat the nozzle fully. I think about the idea that the titanium disulfide is a perfect solid lubricant. What if to cover the inner surface of the outlet nozzle? Will there be the possibility of obstruction less?
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

I will discuss coatings with the students that are working on that next week, will PM you soon
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Little update.
DHL asks for a totally cosmic level price for shipping :evil: . The next couple of days find out the prices of EMS and FedEx, and will write here results.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

I normally send small things like nozzles, even the ruby ones, in a "jiffy bag" with normal stamps and no tracking.
It makes the delivery so much simpler and cheaper that I can afford a certain loss (and things rarely disappear)

To avoid custom issues, mark it "Content: 3D-printer nozzle - free sample for testing" or something like that
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Update:
Today Ken aka Skinny-kid from umforum send me this message
Well since I have no patience and the carbon fiber filament won't be here til until tomorrow, I went ahead and started using the Stasinless steel filament from Proto Pasta I have.

Last time I tried this filament was with a slightly used ptfe coupler and a brass nozzle. It never printed, only clogged that way!

I put in a new coupler before I ran the silver PLA and have already printed out the Ultimaker robot as a test piece. It printed well at 220 degrees, .2 mm layer, at 45 mm/s.

I am now running a second print but wanted to show you how things have gone so far.
Attachments
SS1.jpg
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

Sorry everyone for disappearing from the forum for some time, taking care of a newborn obviously takes a lot of time, but it is a lot of fun too :-)

I sent the titanium nozzles that I got from Ivan to a company that does chemical nitriding on titanium, which creates a relatively thick layer of titanium nitride on all surfaces of the nozzle. Here is a picture of how they look after the nitrogen treatment:
2016-05-22-7413.jpg
As I am quite busy, if anyone here wants to test them I would be more than happy. Ivan has priority of course and I only have three nozzles, one 3 mm and two 1.75 mm, so Ivan has to decide first if he wants them.
I could actually keep one of the 1.75 mm nozzles myself, but the two remaining I am happy to have tested.

Testing with abrasive materials is of course most interesting since titanium nitride is supposed to be very hard.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

I, unfortunately, also in recent time do not often appear in online, too much time is occupied by ongoing projects. So I am very happy to have testers for all three nozzles.
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Hi Guys, they look great, how does the inner bore of the nozzle look? Nice and smooth, round and to size?
I'm testing the Ruby on and off at the moment, I had to strip and replace my coupler and I2K, I've been trying to test a PLA but had very bad results from it and I think it ruined them both, although checking back with my default PLA incase of heater or sensor problems were fine. and I had a failure due to filament blocking in the coupler 17hours into a 23hour print for my 3DHub.

I've contacted the company after the first test pack was so poor incase they sent two packs of ABS, but the ABS was nice to print with(my first dabble with ABS printing :-) )they sent a replacement PLA pack but it was no better. I now waiting to chat with their tech rep :roll:.

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”