Ultimaker 2 Go be made to 2+ specs?

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Ultimaker 2 Go be made to 2+ specs?

Post by LePaul »

I had a friend inquire about this...as well as adding a heated bed

Anyone have one or upgraded one?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Ultimaker 2 Go be made to 2+ specs?

Post by Neotko »

Labern has, he it's missing only the + stickers
3DMuse
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Go

Post by 3DMuse »

I have upgraded to the heated bed and with the Olsson block it is nice portable printer to have. I recommend the instructions from gr5 http://gr5.org/hb/ as well as TinkerGnome's firmware (You need to switch to this firmware before installation if not the power supply will trip!).
As you can see I am using Labern's shroud here printed in PC-ABS with Kapton lined on the inside. So far so good. I think his UM2Go is probably the most pimped up one I've seen on the internet, gonna follow his build on the feeder and spool holder. Would love to get my hands on those + stickers too! Anyways here's mine:
IMG_9988_0.JPG
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That's really impressive. I haven't seen a Go in person but the idea something so little can print so well is impressive.
I don't see a lot of posts about the Go and in the spirit of 'everything can be tweaked', was curious if anyone had brought theirs up to the 2+ standard. Impressive!
3DMuse
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Go

Post by 3DMuse »

Thanks, LePaul! Yeah it's true, while I was upgrading I realised there was so little content on the internet about it except for Labern's Youmagine page.

I think one of the factors may be that the upgrade is too costly. For the heated bed and olsson block + nozzles alone it's already 240 euros. This printer costs 1400 euros here in Germany. I wouldn't do that if I bought this machine new.. That's close to the price of a spanking new Zortrax M200 at 1800+ euros.

I was lucky enough to get a used UM2Go with 30 print hours from a dad in the UK who couldn't get his son in to 3D-printing for 800 euros on Ebay. So now I have this tiny "UM2Go+" after hours of pimping and spending a total of around 1100 euros. Not really something many would want to do. Anyways I love this tiny thing so if your friend is willing to spend time and money I would say go for it!

Cheers,
James

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”