Block v3 or Olsson Block

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Block v3 or Olsson Block

Post by reibuehl »

VitalSparks wrote: So, you are basically doing Atomic Pulls on a regular basis - great idea! I can try this on my stock-feeder, because I have designed and fitted a release-lever to it, which was very easy to do - particularly when I moved it to the side of the machine.
Would you be willing to share that release-lever design?
VitalSparks
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2, Prusa i3

Post by VitalSparks »

I've never tried printing in ABS since I am wary of the fumes and known challenges it presents.
I have my printers in my study/workshop with me all the time, almost exclusively printing in ABS, and on an almost daily basis. I have never been aware of any fumes or smell, although I have read several people say they have. Maybe it is because I use Premium grade?

As for challenges - well, I don't know where that reputation originally came from (and I have read it many times). It is definitely easier to print than many other materials like nylon and flexibles, and I certainly haven't had any particular problems using it. On the contrary, it has solved many problems for me in the areas of strength, durability, and temperature tolerance over something like PLA which failed for me in all those respects on several occasions in my early printing days. But then, these days I rarely ever print 'baubles and beads' - most of my designs have a job to do and need to be strong (don't confuse this with 'stiff'), and durable.
VitalSparks
Reactions:

Post by VitalSparks »

Would you be willing to share that release-lever design?
Yes, I intend to do that eventually, but at the moment it is not 3D printable - I made it from aluminium.
VitalSparks
Reactions:

Post by VitalSparks »

I've had it in mind to go plastic on this one for some time, because the principle works so well, and others may like to do the mod who do not have access to a CNC milling machine.

So, over the last couple of days I have prototyped this -

It still needs a bit of development before I release it however, as there are a couple of weak points where I have used threads. I intend improving this by inserting standard off-the-shelf metal inserts and spacers. The forces involved in releasing the roller are quite substantial (more than one might think), so this is really necessary.

Even so, even in its current state, it does the job admirably - just like my metal one did, athough it is considerably more 'chunky'.

I will keep you posted on how this develops.

P.S. this photo shows it fitted to my side-mounted :-D :-D feeder , but it should also be possible to fit it in its stock-rear :-( position .

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”