Ultimaker removes second extruder driver on UM2 series.

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Ultimaker removes second extruder driver on UM2 series.

Post by Anders Olsson »

Just thought it might be good to announce this here, although there is already a post on the Ultimaker forum.

As some of you might know, Ultimaker has taken the unfortunate decision to no longer mount the stepper driver for the second extruder: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/3960 ... ultimaker2

So to anyone who is going to buy a new Ultimaker 2 series machine, beware that you will no longer be able to control a second extruder, in case you plan on experimenting with dual extrusion kits!

I have actually heard the discussions on removing the circuit for some time now and as I understood it there are more reasons than saving a few bucks (and the reasons are not that Ultimaker is turning evil).
However, I am not allowed to tell everything I hear (which is why I did not announce these rumors long time ago), and therefore I also can not tell you all the details.

Projects that unfortunately will suffer from Ultimakers decision is for example the very impressive magnetic tool changer: (https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1065 ... =49#unread).
(foehnsturm has been aware of the rumors for some time)
Not only will the upgrade be unusable on new Ultimaker 2 machines, it will also be difficult to determine which machines are compatible and which are not without taking them apart (Unless Ultimaker announces some official statement on which serial numbers have the second stepper driver).

So anyone that likes to play with dual on the Ultimaker 2 and do not yet own one, start looking for second hand machines now!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Ultimaker removes second extruder driver on UM2 series.

Post by LePaul »

I hadn't given much thought to upgrading my UM2+ to dual...for one, it makes the usable volume on the printer even less. And most of my parts barely fit the confines as it is.

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”