new 3DP-11s, perf board?

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
shocksofmighty
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): FFCP, HICTOP i3

new 3DP-11s, perf board?

Post by shocksofmighty »

I bought a few new 3DP-11s. Interestingly, they have upgraded nearly all the plastic parts to injection molded pieces (both x and y brackets are now injection molded) with the fan duct being the only 3D printed pieces in the kit. Something that wasn't in my previous 3DP-11ATL is a piece of perf board that was packed on top of the build plate. Anyone have any idea why this is included? Simply protection for the build plate? Install as insulation for under the build plate?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: new 3DP-11s, perf board?

Post by LePaul »

Very interesting news on that printer. I'll be curious what the answer is
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

The bolt holes are also drilled through the perf board, so either it was something they placed on it while machining, or they mean for the bolts to pass through it somewhere. Pictures later today when I start to build.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

Apparently printing on perfboard is a thing. Who knew? I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Here are a couple of pictures. Perfboard, and the injection molded Y-axis bracket. The X-axis bracket and the extruder parts are now also injection molded.
Attachments
Photo-2017-06-28-10-19-39_1526.JPG
Photo-2017-06-28-10-20-05_1527.JPG
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

I've completed building 2 of the 4 printers.

I'll update this thread with my gripes as well. So far:

1. It is far too hard to get the rods into the X-axis brackets. I tried using a large bar clamp, but even that didn't work (this was how I did it on my previous Hictop). The bearings are already mounted, so I really didn't want to be bashing it with a hammer or anything. Ultimately, I just bored the holes out just slightly to get them to press in with a reasonable amount of force.

2. Poor QC. The aluminum mounting block has issues. On one, the flashing left over from drilling/tapping the set screw hole prevented me from even getting the heat break in. I didn't have the appropriate size drill bit with me, but I managed to remove enough to get the extruder mounted. I think this impacted the alignment because it ended up being very difficult to feed filament in.

3. One of the control boards has an issue with recognizing the SD card slot. I thought it might be the SD slot itself, but I did some mixing and matching of parts and it is clearly something in the control board.

4. Several pillow bearings are crap. One I had put on the X-axis seemed a little dodgy, and when sure enough when I began tightening the carriage down it was binding badly. I actually bought extras to upgrade the Y-carriage to have 4 bearings, so I was able to remove and replace it, but it is annoying. I don't mind cheaper things when you know what you are getting, but it should be functional.

The next two printers I'm setting up with Bowden extruders and E3D hot ends.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank you for letting me know what that perf board was for.

I believe my printer came with something like that. Did not know what is was so tossed it ("Thought it was packaging material").

Print on Vinyl Transfer Paper Medium Tack should change to High Tack on the Build Tak surface ("Complete level to print in under a minute").
Although I have a brand new Build Tak Surface ("It takes longer to setup and sometimes 5 times harder to get it to release the print").

Picture taken during middle of this Print.
T1.jpg
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

I have a large complaint now with the SD card slot. 2 out of the 3 printers I have set up have no SD card support. I have upgraded firmware on them all, and considering that 1 of them works fine, it means it isn't a firmware-specific issue. As mentioned above, I swapped out all of the displays with the one control board that actually recognizes the SD card and they all work, so it has to be something with the control boards. I wonder if there was a run of boards in which the SD detect pin has a defect, or it got moved around.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

SD issue identified. The printers that weren't working have the MPK V1 controllers. It has an on-board SD card slot (at a very inconvenient location). Anyone know of a way of either using multiple SD card readers or disabling the onboard?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

shocksofmighty wrote: July 4th, 2017, 9:45 am SD issue identified. The printers that weren't working have the MPK V1 controllers. It has an on-board SD card slot (at a very inconvenient location). Anyone know of a way of either using multiple SD card readers or disabling the onboard?

If you controller supports Marlin firmware comment out the SDSUPPORT line in Marlin Firmware.

//#define SDSUPPORT

Like this
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on July 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shocksofmighty
Reactions:

Post by shocksofmighty »

I'm not exactly how your post applies? It isn't an EFI issue. It is that I now have two SD cards. I want (need) to use the SD card, so commenting out the firmware section doesn't make sense to me. It is an issue with the MPK V1 controller having an on-board SD slot which prevents the MLCD slot from working. Pin 49 on the ribbon cable clearly doesn't have 5V as it does on the other board.

EDIT: The SD card on the MPK board works fine, it is just in a poor location.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

I discovered that when my original board for my 3DP-17 went out. The replacements I got (one from Amazon, one under warranty) both have the slot below the USB connector and under the board. A 'simple' solution to your problem is to place the printers on lazy susans.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Is that "perf board" GR4 electronics plastic?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

@shocksofmighty
It is an issue with the MPK V1 controller having an on-board SD slot which prevents the MLCD slot from working. Pin 49 on the ribbon cable clearly doesn't have 5V as it does on the other board.

Did you ever find a solution for this

Return to “General Questions”