Lost posts

Have a suggestion for the forum? Requests? Please share
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Re: Lost posts

Post by nilrog »

I am not a troll...I'm a user of this forum...that @LePaul setup with some forum software that I know little to none about. I reported an issue, that I as a user have seen multiple times, with steps to reproduce the issue. That is my bug report...how it is handled is up to the administrator(s) here.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

LePaul wrote: August 3rd, 2017, 11:52 am There's a few things phpBB does that annoys me and when I comment on their forums about it, I get flamed and attacked versus people acknowledging the issue or addressing my idea :)
This is what I was referring to when I mentioned trolling, not your posts, nilrog.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Oh @nilrog he wasn't saying anything bad about you...just how you/me/anyone can report a bug report for the software
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Written communication is hard, lots of nuisances gets lost 😬

Btw @LePaul, your tag on me didn't work.
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

:-) it's a language barrier problem, some things including humour don't translate correctly, it can be tricky between English and Dutch, but English and American is a whole new can of worms :lol:
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Izzy wrote: August 5th, 2017, 4:18 am ... but English and American is a whole new can of worms
Two peoples separated by a common language.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: August 5th, 2017, 10:55 am
Izzy wrote: August 5th, 2017, 4:18 am ... but English and American is a whole new can of worms
Two peoples separated by a common language.
What we barely understand each other in the same country.
There are over 30 dialects of the American English language, with just enough differences to be misunderstood..
American English is the set of varieties of the English language native to the United States.
This list is only about 1/2 of spoken English in America.

African American Vernacular English,
Cajun Vernacular English,
Chicano English,
Hawaiian Pidgin
Inland Northern U.S. English,
Miami English,
Mid-Atlantic U.S. English,
Midland U.S. English,
New York City English,
North-Central U.S. English,
Northern New England English,
Pennsylvania Dutch English,
Southern American English,
Western U.S. English,
Yeshiva English
And
Western Pennsylvania English.

World wide the English language spreads over 100 dialects .
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

nilrog wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 4:42 pm Nope...imo, it's worse than that...and I remember now that I discovered before what happens...yet I fall for the same thing again...

If you are reading a thread...and writing a reply...if, during that time, someone else posts to the same thread...the forum will not publish your post...instead it tells you that the thread has been updated while you were typing...and wants to know how you want to proceed...but, and a BIG BUT, this warning is not so obvious (at least on mobile) so you think your post was submitted and you continue browsing the forum...and here comes the next BIG BUT...when you click away for that page...there is NO warning that you are about to abandon your post...so "poof" your post silently fouls up in flames! 😡

This forum sw is the only one I have seen that behaves like this. All other forums will happily submit your post and just put it at the end of all posts.

(Sorry for the long rant...I know it's just the sw that is causing all this 🙂)
Yup, noticed that too. On PC it's hard to miss because you click "post" and then instead of your post you will just get the editor preview with all your text in it again. Hard to miss that on a big screen. I personally like that behaviour, because if I answered something, and someone else got the same answer in before me, I don't have to post that again but can instead review the updated thread, and re-think or just not post my answer at all before making a superfluous post.
I can imagine that on an iPhone, this is less apparent since the mobile views tend to make the editor windows tiny af - which sucks and which is why I hardly ever visit forums from my cell phone :P

/OT: In Switzerland (~8M inhabitants, tiny country...) we have so many different dialects that I can't even list them all. On top of that, every generation within a dialect uses different words. I suppose it's similar for most languages, just usually one doesn't know much about that apart from one's maternal language...

There is a very funny page on Swiss dialects:

http://dialects.from.ch/

Although if you don't understand German you won't get much of it.
It correctly identified the part of the town (!) where I was born.

Return to “Feedback, suggestions and more”