over extrusion on first layer

Discussion of General / RepRap style printers! FDM/FFF printers that aren't gigantic!
newjeeper369
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): anet a8 pursa i3

over extrusion on first layer

Post by newjeeper369 »

what i have:

Anet A8
running on skynet 1.1
.4 nozzle
hatchbox PLA
no auto level sensor
newest version of cura

When this issue started, i printed two 5 hour prints and they printed beautifully. The next day i started a print and the first layer infill is way over extruding. i am using the same cura settings i have been using successfully.

things i tried:
  • bed level (tried near and fare from nozzle) i have been using a business card successfully.
  • lowered flow rate to %90, made no difference. (i have been using %104 successfully)
  • reloaded the skynet 1.1 firmware
  • tried multiple models i printed successfully before
cura setting 1.JPG
cura setting 2.JPG
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: over extrusion on first layer

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Infill should not be .3 with a layer height of .2. If I am not mistaken your Infill Layer Thickness should be the Same as or a multiple of the Layer Height, with a .4 nozzle.

Example with a Layer height of .2 Infill Layer Thickness could be .2 (any more is beyond nozzle capacity)
Example with a Layer height of .1 Infill Layer Thickness could be .1, .2, .3 (any more is beyond nozzle capacity)
Example with a Layer height of .05 Infill Layer Thickness could be .05, .1, .15 ..2, .25, .3 (any more is beyond nozzle capacity)

As you are allowed to print the Infill at a different height than Layer Height. Print two layer height of .1 then print one Infill at .2
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

A more simple explanation could be nozzle wear. Depending on what material you are printing and what it is made of, you could simply need to replace your nozzle. If they are the standard cheap brass nozzles (most Chinese printers are by default), just replace it. 5 pack is ~$10 on Amazon, and these are considered a consumable component.
newjeeper369
Reactions:

Post by newjeeper369 »

I have been using PLA, i havent even used a whole roll yet. would a clog cause pressure to build up in nozzle and cause over extrusion? Ill check the layer height as well but i dont remember changing it and like i said it has been working beautiful then on day it wasn't.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I do not believe you need a new nozzle though nozzles are consumable parts and it never hurts to have them on hand.

My printers temps for PLA vary from printer to printer. Red prints the PLA at 192C while Blu Prints between the same PLA at 198-202C.
I have never been able to determine exactly why one Printer with the same firmware and mostly same specs print so differently at the same temps.

Just so you understand red is my first 3DP11, an Blu is my second 3DP12 3D Printer (This is not the color of the filament) only the color of the Printers.

The Twins.jpg
Attach a photo of one of your 3D Printed Models, and again show your print parameters.
newjeeper369
Reactions:

Post by newjeeper369 »

updating with pictures
IMG_20171125_184500903.jpg
IMG_20171125_184438672.jpg
IMG_20171125_184403438.jpg
good print i did the day before.
IMG_20171125_185016196.jpg
newjeeper369
Reactions:

Post by newjeeper369 »

Roberts_Clif wrote: November 25th, 2017, 5:39 pm I do not believe you need a new nozzle though nozzles are consumable parts and it never hurts to have them on hand.

My printers temps for PLA vary from printer to printer. Red prints the PLA at 192C while Blu Prints between the same PLA at 198-202C.
I have never been able to determine exactly why one Printer with the same firmware and mostly same specs print so differently at the same temps.

Just so you understand red is my first 3DP11, an Blu is my second 3DP12 3D Printer (This is not the color of the filament) only the color of the Printers.

The Twins.jpg

Attach a photo of one of your 3D Printed Models, and again show your print parameters.

Are you saying its a temperature issue? i have been printing at 198c with no issues for a while.
newjeeper369
Reactions:

Post by newjeeper369 »

can someone point me to a good extruder calibration guide? i dont know what changed but when its extruding it almost looks to be feeding too fast for the speed its going, although this type of observation by eye is not valid so i think it would be worth while checking the calibration.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

No, I said I have two 3d Printer printing the Same PLA at a different Temp????????????? Thats All
newjeeper369 wrote: November 26th, 2017, 8:57 am
Roberts_Clif wrote: November 25th, 2017, 5:39 pm My printers temps for PLA vary from printer to printer. Red prints the PLA at 192C while Blu Prints between the same PLA at 198-202C.

Are you saying its a temperature issue? i have been printing at 198c with no issues for a while.
It is not as easy as ask a question an get an answer, No One size fits All. Filament is made by so many different companies that it is not the same, all 3D printers and their environments differ.

I printed many failed models before I determined that two almost Identical 3D Printers in the same environmental chamber printing the same filament differently at the same temperatures. As shown above One printer prints great at 192C while the other prints great at 200C

In this world of 3D Printing. Help will get you close so that you can see what changes do, make corrections to get the final adjustments to get your own working correctly.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on November 27th, 2017, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

You can find plenty of instructions for extruder calibration on Youtube, and Thingiverse has plenty of test prints. Search based on your printer model first, you will find plenty of tutorials and guides.
newjeeper369
Reactions:

Post by newjeeper369 »

Roberts_Clif wrote: November 26th, 2017, 1:13 pm No, I said I have two 3d Printer printing the Same PLA at a different Temp????????????? Thats All
newjeeper369 wrote: November 26th, 2017, 8:57 am
Roberts_Clif wrote: November 25th, 2017, 5:39 pm My printers temps for PLA vary from printer to printer. Red prints the PLA at 192C while Blu Prints between the same PLA at 198-202C.

It is not as easy as ask a question an get an answer, No One size fits All. Filament is made by so many different companies that it is not the same, all 3D printers and their environments differ.

I printed many failed models before I determined that two almost Identical 3D Printers in the same environmental chamber printing the same filament differently at the same temperatures. As shown above One printer prints great at 192C while the other prints great at 200C

In this world of 3D Printing. Help will get you close so that you can see what changes do, make corrections to get the final adjustments to get your own working correctly.
so.... what was the point of telling me you have two printers, that are two different colors and print at different temperatures?

I'm not asking for a simple answer, i am asking a community of people for there take on the issue i am having based on their own experiences. isn't that the reason why people join forums? to talk about and share information about a topic they are knowledgeable about and or interested in?
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

What he is telling you is that he has two virtually identical printers that he has code named Red and Blue that print very differently. AFAIK, based on the specs of these two printers, other than one shipping with an autolevel sensor, they are the same. I do know they use the same extruder and print head. The fact is, they print with very different settings.

And I have the same printers as a lot of people here (Hictop 3DP-17 - same as the 3DP-12 with an out of filament sensor, and the Hictop CR-10S). Both of mine have very different settings for PLA and extruding, even though they use the same filament and have the same print head (one is just a lot bigger).

So essentially, the best you can do is follow the online guides and tutorials for how best to tune your printer. If you want a printer that you can copy exact with settings online, go buy a really expensive printer that has it's own enclosure (like the Ultimakers - nice printers btw, just way out of my range).
GrueMaster
Reactions:

Post by GrueMaster »

Roberts_Clif wrote: November 25th, 2017, 5:39 pm Just so you understand red is my first 3DP11, an Blu is my second 3DP12 3D Printer (This is not the color of the filament) only the color of the Printers.
BTW, I see some cross-pollination going on there. Red has Blu's Z brackets, and Blu has Red's.

That's almost as bad as swapping underwear with your missus. :-P
newjeeper369
Reactions:

Post by newjeeper369 »

GrueMaster wrote: November 27th, 2017, 11:09 pm What he is telling you is that he has two virtually identical printers that he has code named Red and Blue that print very differently. AFAIK, based on the specs of these two printers, other than one shipping with an autolevel sensor, they are the same. I do know they use the same extruder and print head. The fact is, they print with very different settings.

And I have the same printers as a lot of people here (Hictop 3DP-17 - same as the 3DP-12 with an out of filament sensor, and the Hictop CR-10S). Both of mine have very different settings for PLA and extruding, even though they use the same filament and have the same print head (one is just a lot bigger).

So essentially, the best you can do is follow the online guides and tutorials for how best to tune your printer. If you want a printer that you can copy exact with settings online, go buy a really expensive printer that has it's own enclosure (like the Ultimakers - nice printers btw, just way out of my range).
I understand, but my issue is that the printer was printing great one day then the next day im having this issue. the reason i posted my settings is just for information, so people can see i didnt fat finger a setting that would obviously cause this issue.
newjeeper369
Reactions:

Post by newjeeper369 »

BTW,

I checked my extrusion cal. and it looks fine.

Return to “General / RepRap Printers”