Getting the Tevo Tornado first prints going!

Tevo brand 3D printers!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Getting the Tevo Tornado first prints going!

Post by LePaul »

Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Getting the Tevo Tornado first prints going!

Post by Lez0 »

Hi Paul
You removed the surface of the bed you said you didn't like it, why was that.
I am trying different thing to print ABS on a Folger FT5.
I tried slurry and glue. The results were OK-ish.
I have put it in an enclosure and bought a plastic mat.
The mat seems to work OK but after a few prints loses it's stick.
I have been looking at various glass options.
To save time do you have anything you would recommend for printing ABS.

I am currently looking for a second 3D printer and the Tevo Tornado looks a good option, keep the videos coming :-)

Lez0
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

The Tevo is not my favorite printer. Compared to the CR-10S, the only...ONLY thing it has over it is the heated bed.

And really, if you really need to a better heated bed than what comes with the CR-10S, just get a silicone heat bed like Tiny Machines or others sell.

As for print surface....I've struggled. I have used PEI sheet from PrintedSolid that worked good for a few months but now I find that prints won't come off unless I put the bed in the freezer. Maybe PEI sheet has a short lifespan, I don't know.

I'm using the Polypropylene bed for the Tevo Tornado now. Link https://tiny-machines-3d.myshopify.com/ ... d-printers

If I could clean up and sort out my FT-5 in my free time, I would be inclined to try one of their 310 x 310 beds on it.

Again...I don't print in ABS...I understand the challenges tho.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I know some one who has a CR-10. The bed dips in the middle and it's impossible to get the bed to 100°C, it takes about 45 mins to get it to 95°C and it's in an enclosure!!!
Is the Tevo reliable, or haven't you used it enough yet?

I am now doing a lot of ABS printing as I am making prototypes and some come in contact with water.
I bought a mat for it, I am in Spain so I don't know if this is the same, it look similar:

It works well with ABS and PLA but only does about 12 or so prints before it loses it's "stick" I think I need to find out how to clean it.
The main problem with the FT-5 is getting the bed level, I have to do it every time I use the printer, especially as I remove the glass plate to get the print off, not easy with this mat.
I keep thinking about getting another printer, then I get frustrated and change my mind. The latest thought is get a smaller printer for the smaller parts. I would probably need it to be in an enclosure, for the ABS. This could sit on my desk in the office, as long as it was quiet enough.

Thanks for the info Paul

Les
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Yeah the FT-5 is a struggle...I have some sections where the screws have come out...so that means there's a loose t-nut up there bouncing around.

The Tornado is just cheap. And not in the good sense. The only thing is has better than a CR-10 is the AC bed and perhaps it's "Titan" extruder (Geared extruder). There are better heaters one can buy, much like what owners of the bigger CR-10 models have done. (Silicone mats)
susanneadam
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3

Post by susanneadam »

I think Tevo Tornado would be good for a beginner or someone that wanted a good 3d printer.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I struggle with the quality control of these Chinese printers.

I'm in the midst of overhauling my Tevo Tornado...which I have less than a dozen printing hours on...to better components. Better power supply, better SSR, better hot end, extruder and build surface...and auto bed leveling device.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Had a few problems myself, with the Power supplies thermal fuse blowing on normal use.
Simply removed and jumped the traces as it was in series with a standard fuse.

The all-thread lead screws were the worst problem squeaking and causing Z-Axis lines on all my prints.
As for the Aluminum frame it could have been better though no major complaints.

The end-stop switches all had cold or poor solder connections. And the 3D Printed ABS parts were all warped and barely functioned.
The Smooth rod supports is a thin sheet of metal holding both the stepper motors and support for Smooth rods is completely inadequate.
The sheet metal is so thin that nothing is stable at medium speeds an additional support had to be developed for both both.

In short I agree. Though learned twice as much in a short period of time because of these flaws that may have never been accomplished.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Exactly...which is why I roll my eyes a lot when I see these new reviews for the latest Creality/Geeetech/Tevo/Cheap-China-Knock-Off printers being reviewed.

TH3D has some interesting live streams where they unbox and open the printer up and fine tinned leads going to the power supply (no!) and countless other mistakes that could smoke things.

These guys are competing with each other to mass produce with the cheapest components possible and offer that to a consumer who doesn't understand quality....just the low price.

With some of these printers, you can forgive the flaws if the structure is good and solid. Then for a few hundred bucks, you replace the iffy stuff with quality components.

But for beginners, unless they know how to tinker, it can be a sad experience.

Some of the reviews on these new models are fairly predictable. So and So gets Free Printers from GearBest, they do a review...it could be awful...but they spin the few positives and ...predictably...posts affiliate links to cash in. Over several videos you get the idea they won't ever post a harsh review since that would affect their ability to get free products in the future. (rolls eyes)

Return to “Tevo brand 3D Printers”