Begginer

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
Chiquirulis
Reactions:

Begginer

Post by Chiquirulis »

Hello my name is Fernando, thank you for taking the time to answer me and for the help.

I recently purchased an used 3D printer. I do not know much about 3DP and I am excited but struggling to make sense of everything.

My first issue is with identifying the printer, the person who sold this to me told me it was a Hictop Prusa i3, but he was not sure.... Doing a little digging I believe this is true. I will attach pictures of the boards for confirmation.
Controller 1.jpeg
Controller 2.jpeg
Controller 3.jpeg
LCD back.jpeg
Processor.jpeg
Once I believed I had identified the printer, I wanted to make sure I was running the latest firmware ( Probably a mistake, but hey that is how you learn) and this is where my problems started.

Due to my lack of knowledge I went directly to Marlin 2.0 and tried to flash the board without changing any configuration or really nothing at all and now I am unable to use the printer.

I do not know what firmware to download and the ones I have tried do not allow me to control the LCD and I have encountered so far the following:
  • I have run into 2 lines of squares
  • The whole LCD full of squares
  • Only the back light
  • Stuck on the main screen with Hictop Website
  • Stuck on the main screen with rep rap
  • Black screen with continues beeping sound
  • Back light with beeping sound after pressing encoder
  • And the latest problem I faced is a strange one.. the back light its lit, when I rotate the encoder, the main screen comes on and then back to only the back light on an endless loop
At this point I am at a complete lost and I humbly ask for patience and help.. I do not know where to start.

Some pictures of the whole printer for reference as well.
Printer 1.jpeg
Printer 2.jpeg
Thank you again in advance.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Begginer

Post by GrueMaster »

Looks like a Hictop 3DP-18, I think. Very similar to my 3DP-17, except using the acrylic frame instead of the 2020 aluminum (was a cost savings measure I think). @Roberts_Clif is the local expert on Hictop and Marlin firmware. He would be the best one to get the latest firmware from. You might poke around here a bit, I believe he has posted versions before.
Chiquirulis
Reactions:

Post by Chiquirulis »

Thank you for your quick response, Ill look into th 3DP-18 to see what i can find.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

It appears that you have a Hictop Prusa i3 3DP08 or 3DP18 acrylic. With 3D Printed Filament Spool Supports.
When you select the 3DP18 Manual the 3DP08 Manual is shown.
HICTOP-3DP08-Prusa-I3.jpg
Firmware located Here

Users Manual located here
Chiquirulis
Reactions:

Post by Chiquirulis »

Thank you Roberts.

By the dimensons it looks like its the 3DP08. I was able to load the firmware into the printer, now I am facing a problem with the auto home setting.. When I select auto home in the LCD menu, it starts the process, but sometimes, not always, when the X axis hits the limit switch, it gets stuck and the printer starts to shake and make loud noises. Some of the times it happens on the X axis some other times on the Y axis.. Any ideas why this would happen ?

Also, is it possible to flash Marlin 2 on this printer ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

It could be an intermittent solder connection on the end-stop switches.

This can be tested using an continuity tester or by sending M119.
My 3DP11/12 had several broken solder connections under the shrink tubing on the end-stop switches.
Touched up solder connection no more problem.
queenmari
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): s printer

Post by queenmari »

Roberts_Clif wrote: January 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm It appears that you have a Hictop Prusa i3 3DP08 or 3DP18 acrylic. With 3D Printed Filament Spool Supports.
When you select the 3DP18 Manual the 3DP08 Manual is shown.

HICTOP-3DP08-Prusa-I3.jpg

Firmware located Here

Users Manual located here
To address this discrepancy, I recommend reaching out to Hictop's customer support or checking their website for the correct manual specifically tailored to your model (3DP18). They should be able to provide you with the accurate and relevant information you need for your 3D printer.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”