Arduino Mega & A4988 Driver Module

Electronics talk! Arduino UNO, Raspberry Pi and more
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Arduino Mega & A4988 Driver Module

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Both my 3D Printers run with a dual Z in parallel now for 3 years with no problems.
Do not like the ideal of twice the current though, if I designed the circuit would had wired them in series.

I have been thinking about my MPCNC it used X & E0 for X and Y & E1 for Y to drive stepper motors.
I want to change this and leave the E0 & E1 for Other purposes.

I have two ideals

1st - Can I wire two Stepper Motor modules to the same pins leaving the 4 pins connections to each Stepper motor separate.
This way I would have a separate Stepper motor module for each stepper motor and reversing JP3 connections would reverse the stepper direction.
a4988-stepper-motor-driver-equivalent-circuit_orig-2.png
Attached is an A4988 Driver module If connections were made to both drivers exactly the same on JP4.
Could I wire the two JP3 connections too two separate Stepper motors & even be able to reverse the connections to reverse the direction of turn, or will this overload the Arduino Mega 2560.

2nd - Wire the Stepper motors is series or parallel with a single stepper motor Driver module.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Re: Arduino Mega & A4988 Driver Module

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have ordered the parts to test adding a dual X&Y-Axis driver module that can be plugged into my Ramps 1.6 controller board.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. If it works, great. If it smokes, post pics. :-D
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

The parts have arrived and will be test this on My MPCNC backup controller.
I will be posting my results.

The reason behind this is to get the E0, E1 back to allow me to 3D Print on this large MPCNC machine.
I have figured out how to install a hotbed and even level the bed on the MPCNC for 3D Printing only have to have extruder drivers.

Return to “Electronics”