What's everyone working on

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

What's everyone working on

Post by LePaul »

Since we are all stuck at home....whatcha working on?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: What's everyone working on

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have received parts to allow me to drive two A4988 driver modules with my Arduino Mega2560.
My MPCNC uses X and E0 for the Dual X axis stepper motors and Y and E1 for the Dual Y axis stepper motors.

This hopefully will allow me to upgrade my MPCNC to have a dual X and dual Y axis A4988 driver modules.
If this works I can use E0 and E1 for there intended purpose of driving two extruder steppers motors.
I do not fore see any problems, do not know why this has not been done before.

Will post all my results under Arduino Mega & A4988 Driver Module
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm battling it out with perfecting my z offset with these PEI surfaces. On glass and polypropylene, my prints stick just find and come off with ease.

I'm finding that with PEI surfaces, that tends to be too close and very hard to remove. As a result, trying to get that nozzle up just a tad, to ensure it isn't too close....yet works on the surface, is a challenge. With spring steel, many times they just pop free. But other times, I feel like I have to peeeeeel them off. Not ideal.

So...working on finding that happy balance on the first layer
Country_Bubba
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Tronxy X5S-400, Ender5

Post by Country_Bubba »

Trying to get a reliable working filament out sensor/plugin to Octoprint. I keep getting false trips and its driving me crazy. Don't have much hair left to pull out so have to find something soon!
Having to rebuild the hotend on my Tronxy X5S-400 after a stupid operator error of cross threading the nozzle after a clog.

Oh well, keeps me home and distanced from everybody LOL
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'll admit I am new to trying the filament runout sensors. My Bondtech DDS came with it and I decided to use it. I've seen so many comment on false positives and the jury seemed to lean towards more problem than they are worth
Country_Bubba
Reactions:

Post by Country_Bubba »

yeh, that is what I thought until I had a 9 hour print fail 8+hours in because I wasn't paying close attention to it! So my search is ongoing. For the ender, I have finally found the "OctoPrint Enclosure Plugin " that will give good testing results with the switch in the Closed position when filament is present. I prefer this setup because of my background in doing my own cnc conversion to my mill. I think it is safer in the long run. I believe the real problem with the false trips is because the raspberry pi uses 3.3V for it gpio and is therefore very subject to line noise. For my ender5, I have approximately 24" of wire from the pi to the sensor and with it laying on the table and the printer running, I can measure a steady state of ~350mvac of noise at the switch and that is with the switch closed! In a couple of tests that I tried, I think I saw a fleeting measurement of ~1.0mvac noise and of course the Dc reading across the switch is 0.0vdc!

My next attempt will be to try a cap across the line to see if maybe it will filter out some of the noise and make it reliable. If not, had a brain fart this morning to make up a harness that uses 12VDC for the switch and wiring and then at the pi end use an optocoupler to switch the 3.3V required by the pi. :idea:

Not doing anything to the ender right now because it is doing a print that will be off in about 3 hours. So in the meantime guess I will work on the Tronxy!

Hey all this stuff on the printers is keeping me out of bars and from chasing loose women! :lol:

Have a Great day
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm told the girls prefer Nerds, so maybe you're secretly upgrading?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I designed a have been running a filament run-out sensor about 2 years ago.

viewtopic.php?p=11290#p11290

I designed a small housing to allow for a blade switch that can to tripped by inserting the filament.
In pins changed the filament run-out sensor pin to a unused end-stop pin on the X-Axis, foreseeing no problems with this configuration.
Finally I found a problem using this X-Axis Pin so I then moved my Filament run-out sensor to the Z-Max end-stop switch.

Filament Runout sensor.jpg
I cut a standard End Stop lighted Switch and wired a larger LED this is lited when filament is detected.
Cut Lines.jpg
I created a schematic of the filament run-out switch circuit
Image2.jpg
If you need help start another Tread then we can assist you in any further help you may need hardware or firmware.
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

You guys probably know what i have been working on the last two months: http://faceshield.nu :-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Impressive

I’ve had 7 printers churning out ear savers off and on, depending on demand. And what I learned from running so many machines at once is....it’s time to upgrade to quieter stepper drivers. 4988’s howl and are loud!
8801E812-B458-4937-8DEB-0563392DFA9B.jpeg
Country_Bubba
Reactions:

Post by Country_Bubba »

Hi,
Well yesterday, decided to try putting a capacitor across the switch on the filament out sensor on the Ender5. Wow, what a difference. Did a test with the sensor laying over at the side and ran a test print. Near the end of the print and the sensor had not tripped, I checked the voltage again.This time I got a steady state of about ~25mVAC instead of the ~350mVAC that I previously had. Big improvement. Have done a couple of prints since then and no false trips. What bugs me is I have the same setup on my Tronxy (both sensors are tied to the Raspberry Pis running Octoprint) and have never had such a problem as this. So far it appears the best setup is to use the "OctoPrint-Enclosure" plugin and I use the switch in the closed position when the filament is present. The wires are tied to the GPIO3 pin with the internal pullup activated. I used GPIO3 because the internal pullup is much stronger than on most of the other pins. Input type is set to GPIO Input, Action Type to Printer, Use Internal Pullup, Event Trigger Rise, Printer Action Fialment Change, and then under Advanced opitions for filament gcode I replaced what is default with M600 B6 E10 L0 X5 Y200 Z30 because M600 is enabled in the Ender5.

The most important part to make this work was to put a cap across the switch contacts to try and limit the noise. I used a 0.33uF because that was the first thing I found in my parts bin.

YMMV

Also after discovering I had put a clogged nozzle on the Tronxy when putting it backt together realized that wouldn't print for crap. So this morning, changed out the nozzle and will know in about 5 hours how well that went:})
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Good luck!

I’ve been working on some forum improvements. The random spammers still manage to sneak through all the suggested defenses. Myself and the moderators do our best to zap the offenders and whatever spammy posts they post.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I have had my JGaurora 5S for over a year now, and it has work fine. I have replaced a slightly blocked nozzle, replaced the vinyl cover on the bed a couple of times, but that's been all. Yesterday I wanted to change the filament, I had used a small sample to print a part in bright yellow. The filament snapped in the bowden tube. As I tried to get it out it kept braking, dam. I had the strip the tube out and clean all the small bits of filament stuck in the feed motor and nozzle. I have done 100's of prints on this printer and, touch wood, it's been so reliable.
I don't know if I got a good one from Aliexpress or not but I can recommend this for a large printer, I have done various large prints running for a couple of days and they have turned out fine.

Keep safe, keep printing..........
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I had Matterhacker brand spools do that repeated breaking in the feed/bowden. Their Pro PLA and their PETG. I won't buy "their" brand stuff anymore.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

This was a box of assorted colours, 25g each sealed in a vacuum pack. I normally use SUNLU filament and I have never hada problem with it, even on the old stuff, you can bent it but it won't break.
I am surprised PETG broke as well I thought that stuff was supposed to be strong.

Return to “General Discussion”