How to improve bounding when splitting 3D print in parts

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
drbio
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): ender 5 plus

How to improve bounding when splitting 3D print in parts

Post by drbio »

Hi everybody,

I have been experimenting with 3D printing architectural models lately. For the next print I want to try and print a model that is bigger than the printing area, so i will split in square units that i will later put together.

However I am afraid of the way that the top surface will look when I put the square units together. The outer wall will create a visible line that I would like to avoid somehow if possible during the slicing process. See below:
89092.jpg
I can use the "top line direction" option and make the inner lines parallel to two sides of the square, but the other two sides will be perpendicular. I also saw "skin overlap percentage" which might help to avoid this line, but I havent tried. See below, the red arrow would be a side that will be connected to another part so I want to avoid the line of the outer wall.
slicer1.JPG
I am not sure of which options do I have here and could use some advise :roll:

Thanks in advance!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: How to improve bounding when splitting 3D print in parts

Post by GrueMaster »

I would experiment with a smaller model first. Something like a simple wall (I have seen a lot of those for tabletop games). Something that will take very little time to print. Print a full one, then reprint in two pieces to experiment with settings.

Return to “Cura”