Issue with embossed feature - Cura

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
HoldenJ
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3 - V2

Issue with embossed feature - Cura

Post by HoldenJ »

Hi all
I have an issue with embossed text on the surface - after it sliced with Cure (Cura 4.8.0).
I can see the embossed text on my .STL file but after it gets sliced, the feature is almost gone in the "gcode" file - see attached for screenshots of both files and the STL file itself. Any idea how I can resolve the issue?

PS: I tried two other free software to get the gcode file; I can get the sliced files with the embossed feature no problem, however, I can not get my printer (Ender 3 V2) print those gcode files (outputs from "Slic3R" and "Kisslicer" softwares).
Attachments
emboss.jpg
emboss2.stl
(115.9 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Issue with embossed feature - Cura

Post by Lez0 »

I have had similar problems putting text on parts.
Yours seem too small. I make mine at least 1mm thick this means the 0.4mm nozzle has to do a few passes to print the text. It is the same for engraving text, don't make it too small. I sometime put text on angle faces only to find half the text gets printed. Try and experiment with different sizes,
I use Cura by the way.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Your text is quite small if it was larger it would be easier to print with a 0.4mm nozzle, I sliced it with PrusaSlicer 2.3.0 rc2 shown below.
Do not know if the 0.4mm nozzle will print the embossed text unless the text line width was at least 0.4mm though.

Image1.jpg

Using any slicer you could try to print the base using a 0.4mm nozzle pause print for filament change moving nozzle to front right if right handed or front left if left handed then replace the nozzle with a 0.2mm nozzle reinstalling filament reducing flow rate to 50% using tweak at Z an print the embossed text. Extreme care must be taken when working with a hot nozzle.

This is an easy process for an experienced user with PrusaSlicer 2.3.0.rc2 with its included modifiers.
Or you could print the part in two pieces the base as normal an the Text on a 0.06mm layer height base with a 0.2mm nozzle then attach with glue.

If you had a BL-tough split the model into two pieces the base and embossed text. Print the base as normal. Auto home with base still attached And print the embossed text like the base was the bed surface using the 0.2mm nozzle
Only other option is to print the entire model using a 0.2mm nozzle doubling your print time.

There are ways to do the embossed text none are extremely simple though the task can be accomplished. These are only examples a 0.4mm line width text is the easiest and fastest way for you to continue.
HoldenJ
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3 - V2

Post by HoldenJ »

Thanks a lot, Lez0 and Reberts_Clif. Appreciate letting me know your thoughts.
I have some dimensional limits on the size of the text but will make it as big as I can. Thanks for the hint. I have not tried using two nozzles, for printing a piece, actually don't have a 200-micron nozzle, but sounds like a very neat idea, will definitely give it a try.

Thanks again!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Text is really tough with a 0.40

I have a friend who just bought an Ender 5 and is using a 0.25 nozzle to print miniatures (things I would usually delete to the high detail resin printers). He's getting some really nice prints

Return to “Cura”