Resin prints with FDM prints

Form 2, Form 3 , Elegoo Mars, ANYBUBIC Photon and much more....with the prices coming down, many 3D printers employing this technology are available to the masses!
rromano158
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Epax E10

Resin prints with FDM prints

Post by rromano158 »

I have been 3D printing models for a little over a year now with my Creality CR10S Pro V2 "FDM" printer, and noticed that it doesn't like to do really small parts with any clarity. I just bought an Epax E10 resin printer and have been tinkering around with the Lychee Slicer 3. I noticed that some specs on resin prints, or resins in general, are subject to shrinkage. I am planning on printing the Alita Battle Angel 3D model that I got from CGTrader.com. I plan on printing out the figure, the sword, and one part of the upper base in resin, then print out the other parts of the base on my FDM printer.

So, here is my question: Should I need to consider the shrinkage rate of the resin prints in order to get them to fit correctly with the FDM printed pieces?

If the shrinkage rate is an issue should I then scale up the resin printed parts from the 4% to 6% that the resin might shrink?

The main reason I'm asking this is because I have other models that I will only print, let's say, the head, hands and intricate detailed items in resin, then print out the rest of the model on the FDM printer (mostly because those items will not fit in the resin printer).
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Resin prints with FDM prints

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
I have an Anycubic Photon and have been using it for about 18 months to print prototypes.
My parts have to fit together so I am aware of the sizes.
I usually get about a 0.2mm increase in size, that's 0.1mm a side.
Depending on how the print lays in the printer I sometimes get distortion.
I am using Elegoo ABS like resin with 0.05mm layer.

This is what I use as a guide for settings.
As a matter of interest on my old 3D fdm printer I had to scale up by about 0.5%.
Do some test pieces, say squares laid flat on the top plate and measure them, this will give you an idea of any shrinkage.
I hope this helps
Lez

Return to “Resin 3D Printers”