Introducing: Luna - 3D Printer Controller with On-board WiFi and Ethernet

Electronics talk! Arduino UNO, Raspberry Pi and more
likhalabs
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa

Introducing: Luna - 3D Printer Controller with On-board WiFi and Ethernet

Post by likhalabs »

Hello everyone! I’m excited to introduce Luna, a 3D printer controller with a focus on network connectivity that I've been developing for the past few months. Here’s a little tour of the hardware:

Other things to note about Luna:

1. Runs RepRapFirmware. Feature set is based on Duet 3 Mini 5+, with some changes:
- On-board WiFi and Ethernet
- One dual-port driver
- Five on-board regulators: (1) 5V, 3A + 3.3V, 1A for core components (2) 5V 3A + 3.3V, 1A for expansions such as NeoPixel, EXP1, EXP2, etc. and (3) 12V, 3A for 12V devices
- More input/outputs (IO0 - IO6)

2. Dual processor design: ESP32-S3 + SAM E5 microcontroller. ESP32-S3 is a dual-core, 240 MHZ WiFi + Bluetooth SoC with 8MB flash, 512K SRAM; handles networking, storage (SD card) and interfaces (USB, PanelDue, RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller).
SAM E5 is a Cortex-M4F microcontroller running at 120 Mhz, with 512KB flash and 196K SRAM; handles kinematics, stepping, digital/analog IO and other real-time control.

3. Will have open schematics and PCB design, created with KiCad. Firmware will also be open (goes without saying as it is RepRapFirmware).

There is still some work to be done, but I’m hoping to do a crowdfunding campaign in the future. This thread is open to questions; suggestions are also welcome and may make it to the final hardware as long as it’s not a major change. You may also just express general interest, if you have no questions/suggestions :)
likhalabs
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa

Re: Introducing: Luna - 3D Printer Controller with On-board WiFi and Ethernet

Post by likhalabs »

Another sneak peak!

Issuing an M115 (Get Firmware Version and Capabilities) command:

Driving stepper motors:

Return to “Electronics”