Hictop 3DP-17 mainboard improvement options

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
Archstanton
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17

Hictop 3DP-17 mainboard improvement options

Post by Archstanton »

Hi all
I've owned this printer for a few years now and not done anything to it to upgrade it, tbh I don't use it a great deal, and whenever I do it always seems to need 're-tuning' for want of a better phrase, but I don't want to give up on it...I'm sure it could do better.

It's quite noisy and clunky - and I understand I can resolve that (and get other improvements) by replacing the mainboard? Display/control board as well or not required?

I've done some searching, and not got very far - the choices are bewildering, I know it's Prusa i3 clone, but that's about it...I've never messed around with Marlin or anything.

So I thought I'd ask for help here. Can anyone advise what I should be buying, to improve this printer a bit? Ideally providing a link to Amazon UK but I am prepared to buy from Aliexpress etc if it's not too expensive, i.e. I'd rather spend the money on product than customs/import fees.

I guess I could just buy a complete new printer, but like I said above, I don't want to give up it yet - everything else seems to work, no smoke comes out and I have had some excellent prints.

So - any advice and assistance gratefully received
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Hictop 3DP-17 mainboard improvement options

Post by Roberts_Clif »

This is quite simple Hictop Web Page

I purchased a 3DP11 a year later purchased a 3DP12 an this year purchased another 3DP12.
The controller is an Adruino Mega 2560 with ramps 1.4 compatibility. The controller numbers vary though all are completely firmware compatible.
The link above should have your firmware ready for download and archive. Not sure what you would like to do but we have helped many Hictop owners.
I Have upgraded all my to be Equivalent to the 3DP17 > meaning they all have Proximity sensor, Filament run-out switch an auto bed leveling.
All Hictops 3D Printers firmware come stock with Marlin firmware an they have hex or source file available for download.

Hictop 3D Printers are very sturdy an can print many filaments so long as you do not heat the bed above 96C or aluminum Hot-Bed will warp.
I have 4 years, 10 months of posts here to be viewed or post your question an you will get a response form someone on this forum.

Oh By the way I just purchased my 3rd Hictop so these will keep on running for a long time to come.
Keep what you have if you want better add to your collection.
Archstanton
Reactions:

Post by Archstanton »

Hi there and thanks for the response
Perhaps I didn't emphasise my main point enough - I really want to follow up on other information I have read around changing out the main board for something newer, which I understand makes the printer operate much more quietly and smoothly?

What I'm looking or is advice from someone who has done this, and what replacement board they used, and maybe even how they went about the replacement, what changes they had to make to the Marlin fw to make it compatible with what the 3DP17 has onboard.

So yeah - again, thanks for the response it's really appreciated, just a couple more options to explore.
Thanks
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have not upgraded the controller motherboard, have wanted to, am looking at options but have not at this time done this.
Archstanton
Reactions:

Post by Archstanton »

I've bought a BigTreeTech SKR 1.4 Turbo. I'll let you know how I get on.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

An that was one of the controllers I was thinking of getting.
Archstanton
Reactions:

Post by Archstanton »

Bought it direct from their website and it was delivered from the Czech Republic within 4 days, with a declared customs value of $4.94. Customs ignored it.
The best part was I got the board, the display, and the wifi module all for less than $70 (ok I am used to £ so even better) which is a third the price advertised on Amazon.co.uk.

Return to “Hardware Modifications”