Which 3D Printer and Software Should I Buy?

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Count Orlock
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): none

Which 3D Printer and Software Should I Buy?

Post by Count Orlock »

I’d like to ask what sort of printer and software I ought to buy for my restoration hobbies. The best thing I can do is describe what I want to be able to do with it. One example is I have a 100 year old pot metal figurine, 16 inches tall, missing an arm. I’d like to use software to make a mirror image of the existing arm, and then be able to manipulate the arm with the software to be able to put the new arm in a different pose, then print it out. If it could have a metal content, like filaments can, that would be ideal (the more like metal, the better), but if not, I could find ways around it. The second major thing I want to do is to create some glass-like slip shades for old art deco ceiling chandeliers. These would look like frosted or colored glass, up to 13 inches long and wide, and ideally be able to swirl two colors together, though that is probably asking for too much. I can probably spend up to $500 pre-Black Friday prices on the printer. So, which printer would you recommend? Which software would I be able to use: probably feeding it photos of what I want, and having it go from there (if that is possible), creating 3-D imagines I could manipulate and print out. [I have no knowing of software code, BTW]? Also, any suggestions for the types of filaments/resins I ought to try? Thanks very much for your help!
decolui
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Dremel Idea Builder 3D Printer Model #3D20-01

Re: Which 3D Printer and Software Should I Buy?

Post by decolui »

QIDI TECH X-Pro is my third 3D printer but the first where I didn't feel the short comings were so bad I needed to start modifying things. My other printers are heavily customized and using Marlin via dedicated OctoPi on RPi's. The firmware on this isn't perfect but that could be a result of me being spoiled by Marlin & OctoPi. This unit really has changed my view on printing things, my other units usually work fine but I’d have to check in on them remotely via OctoPi to make sure they didn’t just totally screwup making a giant rats nest or hairball. This printer has just lowered my printer anxiety a bunch since it just works and makes quality prints with little fuss. Just remember this and EVERY 3D printer need maintenance, after 5 months I needed to replace both heads (extras included in the box) and I replaced the magnetic PEI sheet at the same time even though it didn’t seem like it really needed it.
Last edited by decolui on January 30th, 2023, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

One thing you will need is to be able to create 3D models to print.
There are 3D scanners that can copy a 3D object, these are developing quite well from what I've seen.
I use Solidworks for creating 3D parts, I'm not suggesting you use this as it's expensive, there are other free alternatives you can use. FreeCad, Fusion and Blender.
It sounds like you will be in for a long learning curve, exciting or frightening, it all depends on your outlook.
I would suggest starting simply, get a FDM printer and start learning how to use a CAD software. There are free models you can download from sites like Thingverse etc.
You will soon know where your going and can build on what you've learnt. Most important have fun with it.
Lez
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I would start with Free Slicers they are many and the top Free Slicers are direct competition for paid slicers
After a while when you get to the point where you find you have a better knowledge of there operations then think Paid slicer.
You may find that 3D Printing is more frustrating than you can handle.

I know that 3D Printers are getting better though, not every one has the ability to repair them an they will need repaired.
Parts wear out while Printing an service can get expensive that is if you can find someone that can repair your 3D Printer.
The forum will be here for all your questions, an we will help as best we can.

PrusaSlicer
Cura

Now for the 3D Printer. It would help us to know a little about what you are intending to 3D Print the quality and quantity.
The sizes of the printed models, are you going to design your own models then you will also need a modeling program ect.. ect....

Please tell us more about your 3D Printing needs.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Free is a great way to start.

Cura has some Pros and Cons. The Pro is - it is updated often. The Con - It is updated often! So, it can sometimes be challenging to find documentation of tech tips on the new features and other changes. CHEP, on YouTube, does a good job demonstrating new features and how they work.

Did you decide on a printer?

Do include safety in your budget. I can't emphasize enough the fire risk these devices can create and a means to mitigate the fumes these plastics off gas. Many minimize the risk of each. But as someone that does professional 3D printing at a research lab, I see a lot of frequent updates from the CDC, EPA and research papers on how these VOCs and Nanoparticles are absorbed into the vascular system.

Print safe

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”