Trying to track positional movement information during print.

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
jendeem
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Raise3D Pro2 Plus

Trying to track positional movement information during print.

Post by jendeem »

Hello, I am relatively new to the 3D printing world. However, I have a Pro2 Plus printer which I've run a few prints on and I'm now looking to experiment a bit.

I'd like to be able to run a print and while doing so, track the exact positional measurements of the extruder head as it moves. For example, I'd like to know that, relative to an origin point, the extruder head is at x = 24 mm, y = 31 mm, and z = 0.3 mm at some time, t. I am not sure if I can pull this information from the slicing software because I worry it won't be very accurate. Is there a way to do this, perhaps by getting the information from the stepper motors on the printer?

If anyone has any ideas, has done anything like this before, or heard of this being done and can direct me to some helpful information, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for your help!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Trying to track positional movement information during print.

Post by LePaul »

Well it is in your gcode for sure
As for real time info, it depends how you want to capture that. I know the screens typically display the current positions. Using Octoprint, using either a Pi or Windows, that drip feeds the gcode to the machine.

Another way would be to tap into the stepper motor wires and capture the voltage / movements of each motor.

Not sure the "how" but in my work at research, we've come up with some novel ways.

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”