Polycarbonate wheel upgrade

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
L67GS
Reactions:

Polycarbonate wheel upgrade

Post by L67GS »

I just got my printer so the POM wheels are new, but I've watched a few videos and read in a few places that poly wheels provide smoother travel and improve print quality. If that's the case I would like to start my printer out to be as competent as possible so I'm down with the updrade. The problem is that reading through Amazon reviews the poly wheels really sound like crap, people complain about excess noise and white powder coming off them, and in some cases of the bearings grinding.

So now I'm at a standoff, many of my POM wheels had some flat spots on them from being over-tightened during shipping but they'll probably come fully back into round now that they're tuned, but it's still stuck in my head that they had flat spots so upgrading them sounds great, but not if the poly wheels are lesser quality.

Does anybody have a recommendation or a trusted source for poly wheels? Thanks, Tom

Artillery Sidewinder X2
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Polycarbonate wheel upgrade

Post by LePaul »

Unless you really need them, I wouldn't bother.

I have dozens of printers and the wheels are covered in wax. If you do regular maintenance, just wipe them down.

I think TH3D sells the poly wheels tho, if you want to get them from someone reputable
L67GS
Reactions:

Post by L67GS »

LePaul wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:49 am Unless you really need them, I wouldn't bother.

I have dozens of printers and the wheels are covered in wax. If you do regular maintenance, just wipe them down.

I think TH3D sells the poly wheels tho, if you want to get them from someone reputable
Thank you for replying, I'm not sure I understand the reference to wax though, do you wax them to fill in inconsistencies?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

The residue on the outside of the wheel...I believe they are coated....I could be wrong
L67GS
Reactions:

Post by L67GS »

These are the ones I was looking at, but $100 on a wear item is a lot without knowing it would make a noteworthy difference. I'm doing a tune up day next week when my blue PLA comes and I print the Z Axis supports (I did order blue out of vanity to match the machine), so I'll have to check the wheels after having been adjusted properly for a couple of weeks and see if any flat spots remain.

https://openbuildspartstore.com/xtreme- ... wheel-kit/

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”