smoothing out a surface

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
t4gp3
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): ender 3

smoothing out a surface

Post by t4gp3 »

hi everyone,

could someone give any advice on how i can make the surface of the object i've attached smooth and not with triangular edges?

thanks
Attachments
headShot - triangular edged surface.stl
(5.21 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: smoothing out a surface

Post by Lez0 »

Hi t4gp3
There is no easy way to smooth this out. It's a stl file which is make up of triangles. It has been exported from a 3D modelling software.
There are various programs that can work with this file format (stl), but as far as I know they can't turn the triangles into smooth surfaces.
Lez
t4gp3
Reactions:

Post by t4gp3 »

Lez0 wrote: April 29th, 2023, 1:54 am Hi t4gp3
There is no easy way to smooth this out. It's a stl file which is make up of triangles. It has been exported from a 3D modelling software.
There are various programs that can work with this file format (stl), but as far as I know they can't turn the triangles into smooth surfaces.
Lez
do you think there's anything i could do in a 3d modelling software like freecad to smooth out the triangles? or perhaps blender?
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

I use blender to "decimate" stl files, that is, to reduce the number of triangles. I then import the new file into Freecad and save it as a step file so I can work on it.
I'm not able to smooth the part but I can then work on it in a CAD program, like adding or taking away features.
Lez
t4gp3
Reactions:

Post by t4gp3 »

Lez0 wrote: April 30th, 2023, 1:58 am I use blender to "decimate" stl files, that is, to reduce the number of triangles. I then import the new file into Freecad and save it as a step file so I can work on it.
I'm not able to smooth the part but I can then work on it in a CAD program, like adding or taking away features.
Lez
yes ok i'll try that.

perhaps i should rephrase my question - how can i create an stl and in the first place make sure i have the type of surface that i want? because i need a skin texture for this particular stl
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

The stl file will always be made up of triangles. You can still get a smooth looking surface as long as the Cad program your using does a smooth surface. Usually you have a setting on export to define the accuracy of the stl file. More accurate, larger file.
I haven't tried using other formats for 3D printing, perhaps they generate files in a different way. When I'm in the office next I'll take a look.
By the way, how did you create this stl file?
Lez
t4gp3
Reactions:

Post by t4gp3 »

Lez0 wrote: May 1st, 2023, 3:13 am The stl file will always be made up of triangles. You can still get a smooth looking surface as long as the Cad program your using does a smooth surface. Usually you have a setting on export to define the accuracy of the stl file. More accurate, larger file.
I haven't tried using other formats for 3D printing, perhaps they generate files in a different way. When I'm in the office next I'll take a look.
By the way, how did you create this stl file?
Lez
i'm looking to have a custom texture (skin in this case) if possible, so i'll be trying that instead of a smooth surface.

i created it in blender by using a plugin that creates 3d representations of 2d images. it's actually been a while since i did that because i've had so many problems just getting the stl to print properly so i can't remember the exact steps, but will revise it when i manage to get the stl's i made in blender/freecad printing successfully.
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

I only use Blender to convert files, I've not created anything in it so I can't help with it, sorry.
Lez

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”