Odd Layer Shifting/Bulging on All Prints

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
thebatmanfan
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 2 x Creality Ender 3 V2 and Anycubic Photon M3

Odd Layer Shifting/Bulging on All Prints

Post by thebatmanfan »

Hello! Long time lurker, new poster here. I am having some problems with one of my Ender 3 V2 machines. I have printed many things and not noticed the weird bands of layer shifting or bulging on everything; same layers on all prints, and at random heights up each print. These are supposed to be flat surfaces on the thin sides. Thought it might be a lead screw problem, but I've cleaned it up. I've tried tightening the belts a tiny amount. I can't tell that anything is helping. I know it's not the model file. Has anyone seen this before and know how to fix? Image Image
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Odd Layer Shifting/Bulging on All Prints

Post by Roberts_Clif »

There are many reasons for layer shifting.

Without the printers settings it will be hard to diagnoses,
Layers shifting could be caused by print speed, dirty bearings, configurations settings or debris on smooth rods .
I had to clean my bearings an smooth rods thoroughly before I could get smooth prints.
Below is a good bearing cleaning video this will give you the best chance of the best clean 3D Print.

Great Bearing Cleaning video

Even debris on belts or stepper motor V-Ref voltage could cause missed steps causing layer shifting.
Its been a long time sense seeing a layer shift that someone else might chime in for additional assistance.
thebatmanfan
Reactions:

Post by thebatmanfan »

Thanks for the reply! Slicer settings are stock for Ender 3 V2 in Cura. I printed on Super Quality 0.12 mm layer height for 3 of the 4 shown in the pics and Standard Quality 0.20 mm layer height for one. I'll take a look at the video and my lead screw, rods, belts, and bearings.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I forgot one cause If the power supply wires are not large enough to carry the current.
This may not apply on Ender's though did have a bearing on supply voltage on my Hictop's.
The Supply voltage could be correct on power supply though could be below specs on controller board.
This could mean larger wire could be used to supply the controller with the correct voltage.
thebatmanfan
Reactions:

Post by thebatmanfan »

I don't think voltage is my problem here. I have a second Ender 3 V2 that has not experienced this...yet.

I didn't get a chance to check things out yesterday. I am in the middle of a lot of resin printing and only have a few minutes in the evenings to get prints going. When I get around to taking a look at the machine, I will give an update. Thanks for the help so far!

Return to “Help me fix this print!”