Lays down raft nicely, then balls of fuzz. Keeping it real

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
dbhosttexas
Reactions:

Lays down raft nicely, then balls of fuzz. Keeping it real

Post by dbhosttexas »

First off, my apologies, I am just now getting BACK into 3D printing after life got in the way and I paused for 2 years. And apparently what I knew fell out of my ears...

Anyway, not sure how to upload images to share here and my online photo sharing is Google Photos, sorry about that...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SVuaMC3kg6W5o9yb7

So here is the situation. Trying to print a case for a Raspberry Pi 5 with an NVME base, (Pimoroni for anyone that cares).

I got the top printed and it is a thing of beauty, but when I went to print the bottom, what you see in the pic is what I am getting.

Printer is a Voxelab Aquila, the G32 board model with the horizontal display. Only add ons to it are a PEI build plate instead of glass, a Capricorn bowden tube, and a not yet installed Creality all metal extuder upper assembly. Not a fan of the OE plastic ones...

Slicing software is VoxelMaker using the Aqulia PLA profile, cooling fan speed is Always Off and 50%, hot end is set to 220deg C which does GREAT with build surface adhesion anyway. And infill left default except top and bottom solid layers are set to 4 to improve strength somewhat.

And in 100% full disclosure, I may be an idiot. I just double checked and I thought I had the printer loaded with PLA, and nope, it is PETG... Going back to the slicer....

So let my post here serve as a warning. Know what filament you are loading...
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Lays down raft nicely, then balls of fuzz. Keeping it real

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I too took a 2 year break, everyone knows why,. Thank everyone took a similar break. as few were on the forums.
And my printers, filament were in a drafty old garage, thought it appears all still works.

I started back decided not to do a full maintenance just added a little lube and started printing.
Well it went well for about half a dozen large models then it happened.

Massive layer shift have not seen layer shift like this sense I started 3D Printing 7 years ago.
Below is a photo of the result.

Warped.jpg

Well I started a well needed complete maintenance and every thing works fine now.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Hi

I've been lax checking my own forum lately

Just looking at that photo, it could be a few things, db.

If the first layers went down well, then failed a few up, it could be...

1) Filament tangle
2) Partial clog
3) Acts of God =)

220C for PLA is on the very high end. Having the fan off is pretty unusual to me. I have fan off at layer 1, 50% at layer 2 then 100% throughout the print. If you are using a 0.4 nozzle, I'd be pretty surprised you are at 220C - but - if you did some basic calibrations and a temperature tower that shows that is the ideal temp, so be it! (I usually only have to go that high for larger nozzles)

To take some guess work out of this, I'd suggest two things. Same to Robert. Calibrate!

Check this link to great tutorials and explanations of what each process will do.
https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html

Also, I would suggest drying your filament before use and storing in air tight containers. PLA generally isn't very hygroscopic (pulls in moisture) but the additives each makers uses can be. It's just one more thing to rule out. (I also find less failures if you dry before use. Filament isn't cheap, do what you can to maximize what you have!)
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hey LePaul How are you!!!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I'm good! I've been working on my old Lulzbot Taz 6 lately, a few mods to make it relevant since it was "new" in 2017

Return to “Help me fix this print!”