Jonny's CNC portal mill

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
danilius
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Jonny's CNC portal mill

Post by danilius »

Lucky fellow. I will have to do with whatever scraps I can scrounge here then. Oh well, sounds like supper.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

There aren't resellers for Mitsumi products you can purchase from?
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

Dunno. Not found one in the UK. Maybe there are. Not sure I want to go with Misumi for my first build anyway. Break my teeth on the garbage, and then upgrade :-)
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Misumi explicitly forbids their customers to resell their products "unprocessed". So you can't just open a store that has Misumi components in stock.
I'm not even sure whether or not I'd be allowed to sell kits containing Misumi parts.

There is definitely no shame in using "standard" industry quality like Hiwin or something. I just want the maximum achievable precision and quality (as in product lifetime), but to be honest this is huge overkill..
The problem with Misumi is, once you've tasted them, you never want to go back again :)

Maybe you can find stuff here:
http://www.reliance.co.uk/shop/

Personally I've never taken a closer look at this shop, but they make a good impression.

For german CNC mill builders I'd recommend:
http://www.sorotec.de/shop/

The owner is a great guy who will give you good advice and takes time to help you. I will buy the CNC stuff from there, like spindle, frequency converter, controller and such.
He also sells CNC machine kits which make a good impression and have a fair price tag.
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

Thanks for that!
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

For CNC parts you can also look at Mandl's shopping list, there are some good links there as well (and indeed Sorotec is at the top of the list)
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

Good list. Also good to know he likes the Sorotec guy as well. I can only second that. He's very helpful, took his time to help me and will definitely get my order soon-ish.

Today I received the first Misumi order (50kg, 1000 EUR). Like christmas when I was little ^^
The SX2R33 linear rails are freakin awesome. There is no noticeable wiggle or play at all. Sure - that will not show until the portal is mounted onto them, but for now I can definitely say there is a HUGE difference between these and the igus rails. igus rails wiggle and have noticeable play even when you just hold the bare rail & carriage in hands.
I haven't ordered any ballscrews yet. They are just too expensive to get everything at once..

Now I just have to get all that stuff from my workplace to my home workshop. I'm a bike rider :P
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

Next orders out - some tools for processing the alu extrusions (115 CHF) and part 1 of the lasered metal parts (370 CHF). You really have to be prepared to throw out some money... o.O

I'll be assembling the machine table next week (hopefully), and then start with the base frame.
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

Tiny update:
Haven't gotten around to assembling anything :(
I realized I need to mock up some assembly documents in order to know what to do with the parts.. Part 1 (machine table) is in the works now and I hope I can get the table done by the end of the week. Next up will be lots of alu extrusion modifications and deburring all those lasercut metal parts.

Very busy times at work these days, so my free time is limited :(
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Hi Jonny!

I was wondering if you know a source for two Misumi HFSQN4-15250-500 extrusions or similar in Germany/Switzerland/EU?

I am considering upgrading the simple MDF wasteboard on my Shapeoko 3 to something a little more stable and versatile...

Best regards,
Reiner
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

Hi Reiner,
It shouldn't be possible to buy Misumi parts anywhere else than from Misumi directly, since they forbid customers to resell their components "unprocessed".

I can order these parts, but since I'm in Switzerland, shipping to the EU would be ridiculously expensive and going through customs is pure harassment. In other words, no shipping to the EU :P
Maybe you can make an account at Misumi in your company's name, and let the stuff ship to your company address? That's how I do it..

Btw: I had to stop my CNC build because it looks like I will be moving my workshop to a better room in the neighborhood. It will be much easier to do that while I still have parts, and not an assembled 300 kg machine..

Return to “General Discussion”