And it's election day....

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

And it's election day....

Post by LePaul »

It's been impossible to watch much television over the past few weeks, campaign ads left and right.

I just voted and like everyone else, excited and hopeful for the results.

It's going to be a long evening as they tally the results!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: And it's election day....

Post by reibuehl »

You have no reason to complain about the media coverage - it is at least your election. :)

We get blasted here in Germany with media reports about the US election here since months and can't do a thing to change it either way...
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

Same here in the U.K., I wish we got this much air time of decent news on technical and scientific items. At least it should be over in two days.
The only politician not lying through their teeth are those 6 foot under.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

... well said...
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Congrats with Trump, Paul. Old witch was a much worst option. Why these morons not choose Bernie for dems?
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well if you read Wikileaks and see what the Dems did to him, its fascinating.

She's so corrupt and unapologetic about it.

It'll be interesting times. He won huge.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

I know little about Trump, but who is Pence? Another "grey cardinal" or something more reliable? And what is your vote, Paul?
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Trump/Pence was my vote

Earlier in the campaign I liked Ben Carson, but after the Paris attacks, he got really weak on how he'd respond to such an event. After that, I found myself admiring Ted Cruz, a brilliant legal mind who'd won many cases at the Supreme Court. But he came off too politically polished and rehearsed after a while. I was never really a Trump fan. He hadn't been a Republican for any length of time and he had been all over the place in his opinions. But...he was a private citizen. A celebrity. He's allowed to be just like us, venting his frustrations and adjusting his point of view as he learned more about an issue.

Pence is an outstanding guy, if you YouTube the vice president debate, you have to admire how calm and collected he is. Despite Hillary's vice president candidate bouncing all over the place on tangents, trying to speak over him, etc. You won't have to watch for long to appreciate the massive style difference.

I few reasons I think Trump won....

1) Obamacare Pushed through the Congress and Senate with Democratic majorities, they never let anyone even look INSIDE the bill to see what they were voting on. No Republicans, rightly so, voted for this "sealed deal" As the details of the bill came out over time, it was quickly showing to be a crushing monster. The often said "You can keep your plan" and "You can keep your doctor" lines were proven to be known falsehoods. But Obama kept telling it. As parts of the bill's mandate we about to be enforced, the President, via executive orders, kept altering the bill and delaying unpopular segments from going into effect. Why? Because of the timing of elections. If the bill needed changing, it should have gone through Congress, but Obama wouldn't allow that. He continually circumvented Congress for many years, and when challenged by the Supreme Court for these evasions, lost every time. ANYWAYS...so the Government can't manage healthcare (nor an F-35 fighter project). Premiums have soared. Some see their health insurance costs rising 25 to 75 percent this year alone, with $5000 deductibles (you pay that before insurance kicks in). Add to that the law requires you to have certain policies you would never need. Hillary planned to continue Obamacare. Trump wants to kill it and replace it with something sensible, working with BOTH PARTIES to compromise and create something better.

2) Economy Obama has nearly tripled our debt spending money like crazy and nothing to show for it. Our economy is barely moving. Businesses are not re-investing and hanging onto their money. We have some of the highest taxes in the world right now. No matter which economic theory you subscribe to, more workers working equals more revenue for the government. Unemployment has been a lot higher than generally reported. They do not account for how many have given up or are not participating (close to 94 million at last check)

3) Military We used to be a force to be reckoned with. Now, we wonder when we'll be taken seriously. The "red line" in Syria that evaporated. Insisting on announcing our military's battle plans (We'll leave on this-certain-day)...the military has had it's hands tied for years. Add to that the staggering losses in Iraq after so much was invested in freeing that country.

4) Iran No President in his right mind would allow Iran to have nuclear devices. They chant Death to America daily, harass our vessels in the Persian Gulf and make it clear they want to wipe Israel off the map. I think the actions taken by Obama and the Secretary of State will have consequences. Flying cargo planes full of gold and euro's in the middle of the night and paying 'ransom' is hardly legitimate. People were outraged to discover the details of this terrible "agreement".

5) Tired of the status quo One of the biggest pet peeves conservative republicans like myself have is this; a republican candidate appeals for our support, embraces our values and wins the election. Once in Washington, they forget us. They do not stand up to the causes we care deeply about and constant capitulate to the other side, because in their mind, that gives them glowing media attention as a "moderate" and "willing to compromise". (Senator Susan Collins is notorious for this.) With Trump, we have someone that very much seems to get it, why the republicans are angry and want to "drain the swamp" of these corrupt people . You wouldn't think a multimillionaire like him would be the voice of the working people....but he has listened and learned.

I could go on but my coffee needs a refill.

There's a lot of things about Trump I'm not sure about. However, I do know he will surround himself with only the best people. His transition group and cabinet will be interesting to see.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

I refrain from discussing politics online as it is easy to misunderstand or hurt someone's feelings.

Just 1 question, how high is "highest taxes"?
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

It turns out that it is not particularly important in what country you live in, all the same. We have absolutely the same idiotic system: for the six months before the election (we have no primaries) they begin to go into every screen, every speaker, brought down from criticism of opponents, and promising a bright future. And after the election, you know that nothing has changed. Therefore, I do not go to any election for 10 years.

The funny and sad at the same time, because of the idiots in power by mistake, in the end, the whole world is going down the drain. Let's hope that Trump really has the will to break a rotten system, and begin to do the real deal. Together.

But in the end, i can congratulate you with a truly beautiful first lady. Since Jacqueline, probably.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Titus wrote:I refrain from discussing politics online as it is easy to misunderstand or hurt someone's feelings.

Just 1 question, how high is "highest taxes"?
I started to type but it is easier to show you this...

http://taxfoundation.org/article/corpor ... world-2016
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

ivan.akapulko wrote:It turns out that it is not particularly important in what country you live in, all the same. We have absolutely the same idiotic system: for the six months before the election (we have no primaries) they begin to go into every screen, every speaker, brought down from criticism of opponents, and promising a bright future. And after the election, you know that nothing has changed. Therefore, I do not go to any election for 10 years.

The funny and sad at the same time, because of the idiots in power by mistake, in the end, the whole world is going down the drain. Let's hope that Trump really has the will to break a rotten system, and begin to do the real deal. Together.

But in the end, i can congratulate you with a truly beautiful first lady. Since Jacqueline, probably.
Here's an article that really sums it up a lot better than how I wrote it up....

http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/trump-vict ... the-elite/
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I agree with what Titus said....talking politics is always difficult Like commenting on a girl...she might take it the wrong way :)

And text is text. You infer a tone from reading our posts over the past few months. Many of you have seen my YouTube videos so you have been able to experience my frequent laugh, sense of humor and levity.

As such, I try not to take things too seriously. Such as hair tips from Izzy :)
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

LePaul wrote:
ivan.akapulko wrote:It turns out that it is not particularly important in what country you live in, all the same. We have absolutely the same idiotic system: for the six months before the election (we have no primaries) they begin to go into every screen, every speaker, brought down from criticism of opponents, and promising a bright future. And after the election, you know that nothing has changed. Therefore, I do not go to any election for 10 years.

Here's an article that really sums it up a lot better than how I wrote it up....

http://nypost.com/2016/11/09/trump-vict ... the-elite/
The article is really good.

On Twitter someone said that the Democrats are too fond of playing in the omnipotence and populist protection of different minorities of any variety, and forgot about the working class, which is the economy and the country itself. And Donald Trump, I think, reflects this forgotten part of the electorate. In this respect, he does have a lot in common with Putin, who came to power after a decade of crazy liberals, concerned only with personal profit. And he really reflected and continues to reflect the needs of the country. As for me, if they find a common language, and be able to calm "crows and ravens, who missed the war," it will benefit the whole planet.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Post seems to have disappeared...

But yeah, if you don't know someone face to gave it is even easier to misinterpreted them.

Anyway, long read Paul, from what I saw the highest number was 38.something procent and I believe our highest tax is 52 percent.
I would need to read it all and compare to make claims about your statement, but it is at least questionable given early findings.

Return to “General Discussion”