And it's election day....

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Re: And it's election day....

Post by jonnybischof »

Neotko wrote:Forfucksay. After all the shit he wrote and this scares you? Ffs
All I have to say about that - don't believe the european news. If there's anyone more full of shit than the average politician, then it's the average european newspaper...

The reason why Europeans hate Trump is because our news media make us believe that he's the devil.
I usually keep out of political discussions completely, because there is no apparent reasoning in any of them and people just parrot what they hear from whoever shouted something out loud enough.

But it is important to still vote - at least in Switzerland it usually works out and the people actually vote against the idiotic ideas our politicians have. Now we just have to kick the politicians' arses more because they don't carry out the decisions of their supreme rulers (which is the people).
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Neotko wrote:Forfucksay. After all the shit he wrote and this scares you? Ffs
Well, from my place of Earth it doesnt looks like shit, you know. It looks like States have most smart potus since FDR.
johan
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO (UM2, UM2+, UM2XT+, Form2, etc. at work)

Post by johan »

The earth is 5600 years old, the imperial units are superior and electing Trump president was a good choice..
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Ask Germany how that open borders thing is working out

Here in the USA, the biggest frustration I hear about is from people who came to this nation, followed the rules, applied for citizenship, followed all of the steps (played by the rules) and now are citizens. We have many many people that come in illegally and want to cash in on services that [should] be reserved for those who followed the rules.

But Democrats don't feel that way in our country. More the merrier. Bring them in! Some large cities won't even report if an illegal immigrant has committed a crime, since that would lead to prosecution and deportation. Many have been killed by the actions of illegal immigrants (murders, etc) and they still have more compassion for the illegal than the citizen harmed! People like me want the rule of law to be followed and I am sorry, sometimes illegal behavior has consequences.

Trump wants us to be a nation of laws, as intended. If a city won't play by the rules and insist they are a "sanctuary city", he intends to halt all federal funding to them. Fantastic! Someone gets it!

Trump won't bow and worry about offending China. We won't be bullied anymore. The Obama debacle of 'political correctness' and worrying about offending someone will soon be over. Obama spent much time preaching and adoring hearing his own voice (so much so, he gave the Queen of England a collection of his best speeches years ago on an iPod). Rather than take action, he has been talk talk talk. Meanwhile Putin has intervened in Syria and steamrolled into Crimea. All while Obama talked about red lines.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I know one person questioned why we chat non-3d printing on here....

Well...we are from opposite sides of the ocean and it is fun to chat about other things in the world.

If you want to participate...feel free! If not...that's okay too.

We're a small group with a common passion....but fun to get to know more about you guys!
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

In Terry Prattchet's disc world books, Ankmorpork is a democratic city where it is one man one vote, he is THE man and it's HIS vote :lol:

It's nice to be able to freely chat with guys from across the globe, remember it's politicians that create wars,but its soldiers that have to fight and die in them, and even in the Great War those soldiers took time to stop, meet in no mans land for an informal game of football (that's Soccer to the guys in the USA ;-) ), exchange some rations and chat about their loved ones in treasured photos.
Where ever you are this Xmas and new year, I wish you and you loved ones especially including
cats, a relaxing joyous time, oh and some time to get on your printers :-D
Happy Xmas or other Holiday depending on your religion or point of view, to all,
Izzy :-)
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

LePaul wrote:Ask Germany how that open borders thing is working out
the very same country can also assure you that building a wall doesn't work.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

LePaul wrote: We have many many people that come in illegally and want to cash in on services that [should] be reserved for those who followed the rules.
I assume you have statistics to back that up? How big is the problem really?
LePaul wrote: But Democrats don't feel that way in our country. More the merrier. Bring them in!
These are two fallacies; An ad hominum and a misrepresentation
LePaul wrote: Some large cities won't even report if an illegal immigrant has committed a crime, since that would lead to prosecution and deportation.
I assume you have statistics?
LePaul wrote: Many have been killed by the actions of illegal immigrants (murders, etc) and they still have more compassion for the illegal than the citizen harmed!
I assume you have statistics?
LePaul wrote: Trump wants us to be a nation of laws, as intended.
I'm trying not to fall into the fallacy trap here, but his track record is far from spotless.
LePaul wrote: We won't be bullied anymore. The Obama debacle of 'political correctness' and worrying about offending someone will soon be over.
In europe we would call it diplomacy. What makes you think that Obama is the cause of this? It kinda reminds me of this comic http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2012-04-23
LePaul wrote: Obama spent much time preaching and adoring hearing his own voice (so much so, he gave the Queen of England a collection of his best speeches years ago on an iPod). Rather than take action, he has been talk talk talk. Meanwhile Putin has intervened in Syria and steamrolled into Crimea. All while Obama talked about red lines.
And what makes trump any different in that regard? To quote the bible in this: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". If america is indeed a nation under god, Trump should be the last one to cast the "He likes to hear himself talk" stone.

I understand that people are angry and I understand the choice that they make (I don't agree, but the American system forced you to make a polarised choice).
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

1) Legals angry over illegals http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... migration/

2) Democrats want open borders: http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/whoo ... t-amnesty/

3) Here's what Sanctuary Cities are: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/06/us/san-fr ... ry-cities/

As for the rest, Obama has been a national embarrassment. Just over the past few days, he's screwed over our ally, Israel and now he's going on and on thinking he could get re-elected if he could run again (not by a long shot)

He's wrecked the economy with his countless regulations (search away!), his health insurance initiatives and we're in enormous debt.

No Trump wasn't my guy and I still disagree with him on a lot of issues. (Most of all being he has been a Republican about as long as I've owned my 3D printer)

All Obama has is his Nobel Peace Prize... maybe if you Euros prize him so much, you can lure him over there :)
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

You only answered the points about what peoples opinons are. I'm well aware of those. I merely doubt the statemens such as "We have many many people" (Are there really that many immigrants? Do they really cost that much money?). The same can be said about; "Many people have been killed by immigrants"; Is this really the case? I very much doubt it.

Did Obama really destroy the economy? I've seen the figures. It looks pretty good. You can hardly blame (or give him/ her credits for) a thing that depends on so much factors. The dept was always an issue. As for Obamacare; We've had that for a gazillion years. Almost every single country in Europe has it. It works for us, so why can't the exact same thing not work with you?

A perfect example of this is the Netherlands. We recently had a huge outroar about refugees coming here. People were clamoring about that "Those refugees would rape their daughters", "Would not get jobs", "We pay them tons, what right do they have?" and "In 20 years they will take over the governement". I think you get the gist.

Funny thing about this is that if you look up the data of past instances where the exact same thing occurred (Sibrentica), it's virtually impossible to see any difference between those people and "True Dutchmen" (I hate the term in the first place, but lets use it for the sake of the argument). There was one notable difference to be found; They were significantly more likely to start their own business when compared to the rest of the population. This of course sparked more research as to why this was the case. Turned out it was because no-one accepted them, so they simply tried (and succeed) to start businesses of their own.

The point im trying to make is that i've seen the exact same rethoric over and over again. We are good. Those people are bad. If we do not do Y then X will take away everthing that is dear to you. But then ask yourself; Isn't that the same exact shit that they said 10 years ago? 20 years? Hell, the same was said 2000 years (Aristoteles famously said : "Kids these days don't have respect for their elders anymore").

Don't fall for the rhetoric. Don't look up what people think. Don't look for patsies. Find proof that something is in fact the case. You will learn that in a lot of cases the truth is in the nuance (and it's a very Dutch thing to say;) and in compromise.
johan
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO (UM2, UM2+, UM2XT+, Form2, etc. at work)

Post by johan »

What undoubtedly wrecked the US (and world) economy was the financial crisis which erupted before Obama was elected. It would be very hard to argue the financial crisis was caused by too much regulations on the financial sector. (To be fair there were some political policies which led to the subprime lending, but the implementation, in hindsight, should have been more regulated, not less.)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well that's a whole can of worms, as we say

There was some laws passed that required banks to approve mortgages (Community Reinvestment Act) Details

The reason I know this is I worked as a mainframe operator at a bank and the feds were always wanting reports to verify we were in compliance. (or big fines follow)

And there was a lot of predatory lending as well, so not all these banks can say 'the government made me do it'

With financial and medical stuff....the more government tends to get involved, the bigger the mess.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Oh Paul, what have you gotten yourself into, talking with Europeans about politics :D
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Oh I know!

Live and learn :)

Return to “General Discussion”