Connecting CR10 via USB or wifi

Creality brand 3D Printers!
PNWMaker
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Creality CR10 S (Dual Z)

Connecting CR10 via USB or wifi

Post by PNWMaker »

My PC (Linux Mint) sits right next to my CR10 and I'd like to be able to send files directly to it rather than load the SD card in to the PC, save the file, unplug the SD card, plug it into the CR10 control box, etc etc.

I have a USB cable plugged into the CR10 and into a USB hub from my PC but the PC doesn't see the printer. I don't know what to do in Cura to make it recognize the printer- it lists the printer as the default from when I set up Cura but says it's not connected. The CR10 'manual' doesn't say one word about the USB port on the CR10 control box.

So...how do I connect the CR10 to the PC so I can send files? I don't want to go the route of Octoprint (maybe eventually), I just want to be able to send gcode files to the printer.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Connecting CR10 via USB or wifi

Post by LePaul »

Cura's newer versions officially do not support USB printing.
I would suggest investing in a Raspiberry Pi and installing Octoprint. It's such a good program and you could always add a webcamera to monitor or create timelapses
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

OctoPrint installed on raspberry Pi's was one of my best investments made since the purchase of my two 3D Printers.

I can simply chose them from the Network directory by double clicking on the Octoprint logos. This then brings up a web page with Octoptint.
To be able to control the 3D Printer. You can have the Raspberry pi connected with a wired Ethernet or you can choose to connect wirelessly.

Have have chosen a couple of obsolete webcams, why obsolete because they are high quality webcams that work perfectly.
You can pick up these little jewels for almost nothing anywhere. without adding an expensive wireless camera monitoring system.
They connect to the Raspberry Pi's thru a normal USB connection port as the Raspberry pi's has 4 such USB Ports.
You can even connect multiply web cameras to the Raspberry pi though you can only monitor one at a time currently.

Then you can add the many plugins to Octoprint to allow it to completely control the 3D Printer while you are home or away form home.
I added a plugin called Octolapse. This will allow you to take only one picture per layer creating a wonderful still effect of the print growing.

The Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 are tiny single board computers that have more than enough power to control the 3D Printer plus the webcam accessories.
This single board computer come at a very low price for all the power it contains, leaving your main computers and laptops for your personal use.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Also....one of my video tutorials on my YouTube channel (subscribe!)...there is an Octoprint Plug In for Cura :)

PNWMaker
Reactions:

Post by PNWMaker »

Okay, I'll look into getting an Octoprint and see what happens.

1) Where's the best place to buy an Octoprint kit? It seems like some of the recommended places on the Octo site are defunct. eBay seems to have some complete kits but they all say "2016" model"- is that the latest?

2) What is the USB port on the control box for if not for controlling the CR10 or being able to send files to it to print? What does it do, if anything?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I get mine for the source https://www.raspberrypi.org/
And I get them From E-Bay I would suggest a Pi 2 - Pi3+

I do not know the newest date stamp, have seen 2017 on Raspberry Pi 3+
Most of my Pi 2-3's have date stamps of 2014-2015. Have acquired them for 20-30 dollars including the PS adapter normally an additional 10 dollars.
Do not buy the Raspberry 3 A+ as it has only one USB port I find you need a minimum of 2 ports.
One for the 3D Printer and one for your camera to be able to view those 3D Printers from a distance.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

PNWMaker wrote: January 31st, 2019, 10:10 pm Okay, I'll look into getting an Octoprint and see what happens.

1) Where's the best place to buy an Octoprint kit? It seems like some of the recommended places on the Octo site are defunct. eBay seems to have some complete kits but they all say "2016" model"- is that the latest?

2) What is the USB port on the control box for if not for controlling the CR10 or being able to send files to it to print? What does it do, if anything?

I bought this bundle from Amazon, "CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition"
Link: https://amzn.to/2M8C1MK

That's where you would connect a PC to do flash/firmware upgrades or...connect an Octoprint!
PNWMaker
Reactions:

Post by PNWMaker »

I looked at various Octoprint kits and settled on this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Octoprint ... 2671024341

I looked at some more basic kits but this one looks like it's a pretty complete package.

When it arrives (a month or so, booooo) I'll get it running and see how it goes. It seems like there are some pretty handy plugins for it, so I suspect I'll have some questions about what everyone here recommends as "must have" plugins.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Meh...I wouldn't have gone with the screen but be interesting to see how it works out for you
cozmicray
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): ordbot hadron, ft-5, cubex

Post by cozmicray »

On my CR10 I plugged it in to USB
system gave USB bonk notice
showed up in device manager as com 7
started repetier-Host (has CURA built in)
selected com 7 and connected
ever since using setup to control CR10 and print everything

:?:
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm not sure I follow...so you can or can't print?

Return to “Creality Large Scale 3D Printers”