Hictop 3dp-12 help

Have a problem or question, suggested links/information/FAQ's? Post it here
Ellou
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-12

Hictop 3dp-12 help

Post by Ellou »

Ive had the printer for I think 4-5 years and never did any real maintenance or upgrades.

Ive printed PLA, TPU and Petg with little problems other then aesthetics. The prints functioned good enough for my needs so never really worried about getting better prints. I believe I upgraded or attempted to upgrade the firmware at some point over 2 years ago but cant remember where I got the firmware from or if I reverted back to stock but since around that time I keep getting a z probe out error when auto leveling. From researching some setting must be wrong in the firmware but since it didnt hurt the print (I dont think it did) I didnt worry about it. recently Ive been having a "heating failed" message pop up when starting a print and I thought I solved it by re-seating all the power and heater wires. It happened again today after 2 weeks but just once.

After watching a few Teaching Tech videos on Youtube about tuning you printer my PLA prints look so much better and seem much stronger. That made me want to get my printer working as best as it could. Googling and youtube didnt have much on this printer so I ordered the ender 3 pro but I would like to get this one printing well.

Things Ive done so far:
Tightened belts
lubed rods and bearings
changed bad bed bearings
Went over Teachingtechs video about tuning your slicer
After I get the parts I need printed Im going to go over tuning the Machine firmware and upgrading to a newer version of Marlin if possible.

1. Im ordering the Bigtreetech skr mini v2 board with touchscreen for the ender 3, I wanted to know will I have an issue upgrading the hictop to the same setup? Could I use the control board/lcd from the ender 3 pro on the hictop?

2. I want to use a glass bed so should I just ditch the stock inductive probe and go manual or is BL Touch a simple upgrade?

3. Is it worth it to upgrade the Power supply on the hictop if its still working or is there a benefit (Other then quality/piece of mind) going to a meanwell PS?

Im currently printing some of the recommended upgrades for the Ender 3 pro and will print some additions for the 3dp-12. Im just having a hard time finding current information or specific information about the upgrades I want to make. Im pretty good at tinkering and following directions but with editing the code and what boards will/wont work with what Im not that knowledgeable. So please give opinions/advice/direction about whatever I posted or what would be a better bang for my buck.

I acknowledge this is more of a ramble then a post but I just had my coffee and wasnt sure what would be pertinent.
Last edited by Ellou on July 29th, 2020, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellou
Reactions:

Re: Hictop 3dp-12 help

Post by Ellou »

I really neglected this thing. Please help me make it up to it. :oops:

Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have posted all version of Marlin firmware that I have updated for my 3DP11 on many threads in 3D Printing Forum.

But would post another link to my Marlin firmware again if needed.
I have never added a BL Touch to the Marlin firmware though most likely someone has and we can get their input to help change firmware.
Electronics Technician / Computer Programmer

Ellou
Reactions:

Post by Ellou »

Thanks for replying. Yeah Ive seen your posts but wasnt sure if I still needed to comment anything in or out. Also if my board is to old for the newer versions of marlin.

Do you know if I can use the stock board and lcd from the ender 3 pro on the hictop? I would think so as long as the firmware is correct but I dont want to assume anything.

Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Ellou wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Yeah Ive seen your posts but wasn't sure if I still needed to comment anything in or out. Also if my board is to old for the newer versions of marlin.
I have used the Original controller's both the Base V1.3 and MPX.3 work with the same firmware up to Marlin 2.0.3.
Have not configures or flashed a higher version of Marlin as of this date.

I ordered the newest MPK v1 and installed the the same firmware. I found this MPT-v1 controller and should also work

I have also installed Marlin v2 firmware on a RAMPS 1.6 3D PRINTER CONTROLLER + Mega 2560 for my MPCNC.
Ellou wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 4:56 pm
Do you know if I can use the stock board and lcd from the ender 3 pro on the hictop? I would think so as long as the firmware is correct but I dont want to assume anything.
I see no reason why Ender 3 pro controller will not work though I have no experience using it.

When I started out I purchased spares of the original controllers.
I have decided if controller dies will use a MKS Integrated Ramps or a RAMPS 1.6 3D PRINTER CONTROLLER + Mega 2560.
These controllers have the ramps plugin stepper motor driver modules, and will give me a longer controller life.
Electronics Technician / Computer Programmer

Return to “General Questions”