Coffee Chat 2023

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Coffee Chat 2023

Post by LePaul »

Hello friends!

What are you working on?

I have a few projects going on at once. I completed my Bachelor's degree in Applied Sciences in December at long last! I finally have a bit more free time to work on lot's of projects I put off to the side. Many printers have upgrade components just waiting for me to get at them

I upgraded my three CR-10S machines to SKR Mini E3 and TFT35 displays over the holiday break. I encountered a few minor snags, mostly with the control box fans either having died or being very loud. The control box has two fans and the wiring Creality used rather weird. So, I sorted that out, trimmed off tinned wires and ferrules replaced them. A safer setup.

I finished up my CR-10S Pro v2 upgrade to the Bondtech DDX (Phase 3) with Slice Copperhead hot end. The snag there was the Creality heater cartridge, upon completion of the upgrade, I still had extrusion issues and something new, unable to get to 200C. I replaced it with a Slice 50w one and the printer is working marvelously. So in hindsight, all my extrusion problems may have just been wonky heater. Still, I am glad to have the low quality components out and vastly better, more reliable equipment installed. That machine has currently done many multi-day prints for my Iron Man project and the results are very impressive.

My current project I have been filming has been converting one of my Eryone Thinkers to a Direct Drive setup. I bought several of the Bondtech DDS setups while they were available. In order to install that onto the Thinker, I had to determine if a CR10/Ender X carriage would fit. It's a perfect match to the stock carriage, so once i had that installed, it was a matter of installing the DDS and splicing a lot of wires into the new hot end. The DDS came with 12v fans and the Thinker's stock fans were all 5v. The main board has a jumper for 5v or 24v so once that was changed, I just sourced some 24v fans for the DDS. I didn't want to overcomplicate things with a buck converter. I also learned that the fan on the motherboard remains at 5v regardless. The Thinkers already had BL Touch probes installed on the stock hot ends, so adding those to the DDS was a cinch. The Facebook group has a gentleman that has been refining Marlin for the Thinker printers. He announced a newer version being released very soon. Once I have that, I can refine the configuration and test away!

And I already have the next project in pre-planning right now! But let me pause there and here about what projects, printing or non printing, my friends are up to!
LePaul
Reactions:

Re: Coffee Chat 2023

Post by LePaul »

I'm talking to myself again :)
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

Wow you have been busy Paul and congratulation on your Bachelor's degree.
I'm out of action for a bit as I crashed on my bike and broke my hip, got a new one 4 days later.
I'm hobbling about with a walking stick, but still managed to get a small print done.
I'm waiting until I can sort out my JGaurora A5S as there is a problem I think with the wiring.
I had thought about replacing the hot end with something better. A friend is building a 3D printer and he's planning to use a super fast nozzle, I'll let you know how it goes.
Haven't had a lot of time for my new Elegoo Saturn 2, a nice big resin printer, I've only done a handful of prints, it's a nice machine.
Lez
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

OUCH - I hope you are mending quickly!
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

As the saying goes, my bike is OK. :lol:
Yes I'm healing well thank you.
Les
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I went from COVID, okay for a few weeks, a bad cold/bronchitis that took me out for two weeks....and now as spring is here, the allergies are coming!
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

I would say take up cycling to get fit, but that didn't work out too well for me! :-(
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Oh Im at the gym 4-5 days a week and a low carb diet....trying to get that Thor like body! Ha ha
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

And don't forget fruit, plenty of oranges, apples, grapes etc.
Especially grapes,
grape juice,
fermented grape juice,
OK wine.....
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

It suddenly got quiet in here!
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

I have been trying to upgrade my PC to windows 10, I've been on it a week now and still can't get it to upgrade, Windows 10 just keeps failing after many hours of trying. I'm quite happy with Windows 7 but I'm forced to upgrade...........
Frustrated Lez
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

Finally got my PC upgraded to Windows 10. I can now use Cura version 5.
Just got a lot of little things to sort out now.
I just wish I could use Linux, but Solidworks wants Windows..................
I'm working on trophies for the local fiesta, I get to use my new Saturn 2 for this :-D
Les
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Summertime! What's everyone up to
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

I'm making prototype for work and 3 frog trophies for a club for there fiesta competitions. Best at Poker, best at Padel, and finally best drunk.
It's a club of young lads if you hadn't guessed. I'm enjoying making the trophies as I have a free hand.
I'll post fotos when they are finished.
Lez
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Ha how interesting

I was handed a CR-10 Mini for free a year ago and I finally decided to look it over
It came without a hot end and I basically gutted it, installed new electronics, touch screen and a second z axis
I've spent a lot of time re-learning Marlin with vscode and the plugins. So far, it's going well!

Return to “General Discussion”