3D Printer(s): Tronxy X5S-400, Ender5

Have a problem, need some ideas on how to fix

Post by Country_Bubba »

OK, have a new one for me.
Printer is an Ender 5
Main board is Ender5-BigTreeTech-SKR-Mini-E3-1.2
Firmware -Marlin-bugfix-2.0. installed 9/2022
Also use Octoprint

The printer has been working perfectly until today when I was making a print. I noticed on the webcam that it appeared I had run out of filament due to the ‘air space’ between the top of the print and the nozzle. Went and checked on the printer and sure enough, the spool was empty.

Clicked on the printer control knob and navigated to “Cancel Print” and canceled it. So far no problems.

Pulled out a new spool of filament and put it on the printer. Went back to my easy chair and using octoprint, told it to start a new print. (same file).

It immediately started doing a home routine (did not wait for the bed and nozzle to heat up) and went into a filament change routine (M600) which was not in the file nor did I try to initiate it. It was also noted the nozzle temp requested is 170°C and I print this filament at 242°C!

Several times I have completely shut down the printer and octoprint doing a complete reboot and it still repeats the same M600 behavior each time! I did find along the way there was a SD card in the printer that I had forgotten about and pulled it out (after shutting down). Rebooted and the same routine came up.

Along with all of the reboots, have uploaded a new file, but that didn’t help either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Country
Country_Bubba
Reactions:

Re: Have a problem, need some ideas on how to fix (Solved)

Post by Country_Bubba »

After more extensive testing and debugging, it ended up being a borked plugin! I had installed the "Enclosure" plugin several years ago to handle filament runout sensing, but had disabled it as it gave to many false trips. Some how it got messed up and caused the problems. Basically cleaned out all the settings and now the system is working again.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Have a problem, need some ideas on how to fix

Post by LePaul »

Man, it's always the simplest, cheapest thing that causes the most mayhem
Country_Bubba
Reactions:

Post by Country_Bubba »

Yeh, never figured that Octoprint would be the cause as it was supposedly only reading and spitting out the gcode AND I had the filament senor turned off.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Oh yes I have posted a texture difference when using Octoprint > Octolapse recording feature results below
SD vs OctoLapse 1.jpg
The above image shows a part printed using Octoprint > Octolapse Part on left that, the print on the right was 3D Printed without octolapse > Octoprint.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Yeah I wonder if some of that is the board is getting over flowed with data in the USB uart too
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

That is a very good response Le Paul.

My Raspberry Pi 2's were replaced with Raspberry Pi 3's at this time. I was using the USB 3 ports for camera's.
Then I only took one photo at the end of each layer, showing a layer by layer still frame video when played back.

This means at the End of each layer the build plate moved to a designated location one photo was taken then the print continued.
any suggestions.
Country_Bubba
Reactions:

Post by Country_Bubba »

I use 3B+ boards on my printers and have found that if I move to a designated location when using octolapse, that I get increased stringing. I print in petg and it is enough of a problem as it is. So when using octolapse, I just do the snap at layer change with no move. It helps.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

OK. Will try that

Was going to try a Raspberry Pi 4

Return to “Other make/model 3D Printers!”