Super hard nozzles - Test pilots

Discussions concerning the Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ series of printers, including the Ultimaker 2 Go
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Re: Super hard nozzles - Test pilots

Post by antiklesys »

@Anders if you still have a spare nozzle to send out I'd be glad to test it.
Can't promise that I'll test it with an extremely hard material, but I can tell you I'll do my best to stress it out :)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Not right now I think, but there will hopefully be more soon :)
At some point we are going to change from testing to sales, but I would like a few more testers on the one with a professionally made holder for the ruby.
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Anders Olsson wrote:Not right now I think, but there will hopefully be more soon :)
At some point we are going to change from testing to sales, but I would like a few more testers on the one with a professionally made holder for the ruby.
pick me, pick me, either way (testing or sales) :)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Ok this it's the good area for this.

Bertho the guy that changed the umo feeder (the IRobertI of the UMO's) posted a very interesting think that probably will pass without much notice. A preassure measure system for the filament that goes in the hotend.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1989 ... ply-138249
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Anders Olsson wrote:Not right now I think, but there will hopefully be more soon :)
Available any time :)
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

I have not enough time to make in-depth testing, but count me as a customer as I will definitely buy this -- I (almost) always print in 0.4mm, but the main reason I don't use my XT-CF it because I am to lazy to swap nozzles all the time. So having a hard nozzle which works for all materials is absolutely a plus.
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Amedee wrote: So having a hard nozzle which works for all materials is absolutely a plus.
Exactly my thinking! :)
Titus
Reactions:

Post by Titus »

I haven't tried XT-CF yet(too scared), but half a glowfill roll completely destroyed a nozzle
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Titus wrote:I haven't tried XT-CF yet(too scared), but half a glowfill roll completely destroyed a nozzle
Ha, me too! With no real solid "settings" in Cura to follow, I keep putting it off too.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Amedee wrote:So having a hard nozzle which works for all materials is absolutely a plus.
That is exactly how I use the ruby.
My goal is that it should perform as good as or better than any other nozzle type for all materials, so you who already has received one, don't hesitate use it as you would use your normal nozzle! Any experiences, good or bad, are interesting for me, trying to optimize the parameters.

I haven't used any other nozzle much since I made ruby nozzles because there appears to be no reason going back :) but I have only done testing with a limited range of materials and models so far.
Neotko wrote:Bertho the guy that changed the umo feeder (the IRobertI of the UMO's) posted a very interesting think that probably will pass without much notice. A preassure measure system for the filament that goes in the hotend.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1989 ... ply-138249
That is really interesting, would be very useful to have something like that on the printer when testing nozzles!

I hope that I will have more nozzles ready around easter, but no promises, things always tends to take more time than expected.
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

LePaul wrote:
Titus wrote:I haven't tried XT-CF yet(too scared), but half a glowfill roll completely destroyed a nozzle
Ha, me too! With no real solid "settings" in Cura to follow, I keep putting it off too.
I bought a big spool from Colorfabb (2.2kgs - cheaper that way) because I have big plans with it.
To be honest, I'm putting it off too, a bit scared of it ;)
"Come on Steve, man up!"
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

very interested as well!
testing/buying, would like to try it with all the exotic materials I have lying around to see what the limits and possibilities are. I have some Protopasta steel filament lying around and love the other metal filled filaments.
Roboduck
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Makerbot Replicator, Ultimaker

Post by Roboduck »

I recieved one of Anders' ruby nozzles and have run about a half a spool of ColorFabb XT-CF20 through it so far. I am very happy with the results thus far. I had been using E3D's hardened steel nozzles which worked OK but still started to show some signs of wear after 1-1.5 spools of XT-CF20. One of the big benifits I've seen so far is the better thermal conductivity of the brass nozzle compared to the steel ones. I was able to turn my temps down 5-10 C with the ruby nozzle. It am seeing significantly less stringing (lower temp helps) and more even flow. I haven't taken it out yet to look at the wear but from what I'm hearing it shouldn't be anything significant.

I also had to change material a few times back to regular ColorFabb XT and, maybe its just my imagination, but I am seeing similar benefits with it as well. I'm wondering if the smooth finish of the ruby is helping with flow and preventing the filament from sticking to the tip of the nozzle?

Very happy with the nozzle so far and will update here as I get more results.

Question for those of you cleaning your nozzles for inspection after removing them, what are you using to clean your nozzles? I've just been using a brass wire brush to clean the outside of the nozzle but I was wondering if anyone had a good trick to cleaning out the inside? I've tried the atomic method with mixed success.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

I use reverse atomics to clean the nozzle from outside, it leaves a brilliant sexy nozzle :) https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1835 ... se-atomics
Titus
Reactions:

Post by Titus »

I was already wondering how an atomic pull would behave on these nozzles.
The reverse might be bad as you could pull the ruby out if the glue fails?(it was glue right? and it probably wont, but still)

Return to “Ultimaker 2 / Ultimaker 2+ / Extended & Go”