3D printer for kids

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
MrFlippant
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): ANYCUBIC Photon

3D printer for kids

Post by MrFlippant »

Hi-
Looking for any insight on the best 3D printer to pick up for xmas that will balance between ease of use and enough features to not have the kids grow out of too soon.
$300-$350
USA
Not a lot of experience in electronic construction but I'm not scared by setting up electronics - prefer easier vs. harder.
Really a kids gift that I'm hoping to use as a STEM based gift vs. standard action figures and NERF guns.
Closed would be better but we could deal with open if it meets the needs above.
I originally had been looking at the ToyBox (even had my credit card info entered) but after reading this forum about how small, basic, and constrained it might be I'm having second thoughts.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: 3D printer for kids

Post by LePaul »

I want to point out a few very important things - safety.

Please consider an enclosure for whatever printer you are looking for. These machines, ESPECIALLY in the low low budget you have set, are notoriously low quality, cheap components and little to no quality control.

Honestly, at that price range, I would go with the Nerf guns.

These devices output a lot of nanoparticles, VOCs and can also pose a significant fire risk.

Your toaster oven meets more stringent electrical safety regulations.

I don't mean to be a downer....just educating you. My workplace experienced a 3D printer fire and we learned a lot. We also consult with industry experts on off gassing of nanoparticles with a variety of materials. Truth is, most vendors don't reveal everything that is in their filament. So, you have no idea what you're inhaling. And the science shows the offgassed materials are absorbed by our vascular system. The preliminary evidence is bad, with more research on going. It prompted me to invest in enclosures, fume extractors and air filtration.

l'd rather not be done in my 3d printer lung!

Hope this helps
decolui
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Dremel Idea Builder 3D Printer Model #3D20-01

Post by decolui »

I would possibly suggest these ANYCUBIC Photon Mono X and Creality Ender 3. Both these tends to be the standard starter printer for hobbyists. While it often requires some adjusting and playing with the hardware, it's not too difficult.
I think it would be a good one if you can help the kids with small repairs from time to time. Additionally, it may allow them to learn how to repair the printer on their own as they grow older.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Please consider enclosure and ventilation

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/cir ... ch-215587/

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”